Agnostic.com

4 0

Racism is a misnomer, what term should replace it?

GothRik 7 Oct 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ethnic bias is the correct term. This bias is the cause of: prejudice, discrimination, bigotry, and stereotyping. Anthropologists and Sociologists do not use the term racism or racist. The proliferation of the mistaken term is made by the tidal wave of ignorance in the world. Ignorance is the cause for many of the world's problems; Another major cause is corruption.

As there is only one "human race", I do think it is a misnomer. I think prejudice is a good catch all word for it.

More often than not, the more appropriate term is ethnocentrism.

I guess I would need to know your definition in order to reply properly. What does it mean to you and why is it a misnomer?

All humans belong to the human race, so how can there be any racism. The term could be seen to imply that any particular 'race' is not human.

I thought that is what you meant, but the term is commonly known as prejudice against another person because of their color or physical features. It's a form of tribalism and has no logical basis. We have to separate that from cultural differences. Putting bigotry aside for cultural differences, which is also illogical, it is OK to disapprove of cultural practices which are cruel to animals, destroy the planet, or which violate human rights. That is a far cry from preventing someone from working or having a job because of their color, but some will call condemnation of cultural/religious practices as racism, and they are incorrect.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2619
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.