Agnostic.com

10 2

Seeking Information.
Okay, I really couldn't decide what category this would go under. My question is about the hearts with a percentage next to it. I've read the Admins explanation. Maybe I was sleepy or something but for some inexplicable reason the meaning of some aspects seemed somewhat unclear. I take it that the heart means that the person is open to communication, according to preference, with another of like desire such as dating, long term, conversation, friendship, whatever. But what does the percentage mean? I had thought that the percentage meant that if I see a woman and the percentage is, say, 89%, that translates into us being highly compatible with each other on a scale of 1 to 100 and she, in turn, sees the same 89% when she views my photo. But I must be wrong because when I sought to make contact with several women with what I thought was high compatibility between us there was rejection. Now I'm not saying that there is hostility or any kind of rudeness. The women members, at least in my opinion, are all lovely, highly intelligent, strong and a joy to interact with. So, is my understanding of the percent flawed as in I'm not understanding the purpose? Is the information used to determine the percent unreliable and I'm engaged in wishful thinking to imagine that it can be useful?

SchuylaRDiamond 6 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've noticed an inconsistency here as well . I thought perhaps the % was only showing one side . For instance , I thought , perhaps this person , may be 80% of what I'm looking for , but I may be only 20% of what that person is looking for . But even that doesn't seem to hold up .

I'm waiting for a 100 percent match.

I never get more than a 9% match with anyone.

@SchuylaRDiamond You think?

Hon, it matches against how you answered your profile for interests— so if you said secular atheist and that you want to talk to agnostics, humanists, etc. they get an added %ile in YOUR view. They could say that they don’t want to talk to atheists, only agnostics and have very different criteria.

That and there are so few questions that only gauge one asset. It’s basically useless as a function.

Foiled as in literary or as in ruined? XD @SchuylaRDiamond

I hope no one ever breaks your heart. It is painful and you do feel it in your heart.

If you visit a profile and click on the heart value, you'll see a breakdown of how it's calculated. It's not terribly indicative of compatibility, but more of a starting place. It just gives you a quick glance at some basic common ground, but you'll still have all your work ahead of you in terms of getting to know one another and determining whether your personalities and values match up.

That's all well and good, but what's the point of the matching at all if it's not very accurate?

@DancesWithWorms I guess it depends on what you mean by accurate. It's accurate in terms of some basics, but it's not comprehensive. The site is still relatively new and a lot of features are undergoing continual updates, so my guess is that the heart percentage will be adjusted somewhat eventually. I'd like to see hard limits placed on some criteria, for instance (e.g., age) rather than have it all be a minor factor. If you have suggestions, there's a category where you can post so the admins will see your requests and may respond.

I didn't know that clicking on the heart did anything, thanks

go figger. I had an 18 year old with a high percentage match

When's the wedding? 😉

@resserts i am adopting him

@btroje lol

I'm new to the site, so I'm still learning about it. One thing I've noticed though is that I seem to have some very high matches with men who are well outside the age range I indicated I'm interested in. I'm thinking maybe the match algorithms haven't exactly been perfected yet.

I made the same assumption about the percentage. However, there aren’t a lot of questions on which to base the percentage so I consider the figures dubious. Even on dating sites that use a much more detailed matching system, high percentages don’t always indicate a good match. Good luck!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26194
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.