Agnostic.com

28 11

Religion and politics are the same - it's all about control

wotsthat 6 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. Religion is about faith and belief. Evidence doesn't apply. Politics is, or should be, about ideas and philosophies, open to support, review, criticism, and revision. Healthy politics is supporting a political philosophy but being open to the realities of political action. When people's politics become faith based, then you have a crossover from religion to politics. We see this in the Trump base. Any discussion about the realities is irrelevant to them. And this is about manipulation and control of this base by the Trump movement.

@Atheistman I do not. Evangelicals support him because they are first reactionary conservatives who support the Republicans to bring their moralistic and pro elite agenda. Cynical true believers of the Republican Party would have supported Charlie Manson as President if they thought he would bring in the Republican agenda of further enriching the rich. They know Trump's a low life but he's been useful to them. Religion has nothing to do with it. The befuddled, delusional, and desperate for change Trump base, largely working people screwed by the system, include some Christian people, no doubt, but theirs is the politics of faith, and Trump, like the Illusionist on stage, deflects them to see what he wants them to see and away from what truly is.

We can't destroy the bogeymen under the bed, so we created religion. We are mean, selfish hairless apes...so we need the illusion of compromise called "politics".

These days in America, politics IS a religion.

We have to keep religion out of politics because politics belongs to us. It's our only hope to make things better and for that we have to fight hard.

Absolutely. If we give in to the cynicism that nothing we believe in or aspire to create is worth the effort, then we will be condemned to live in these horrid dystopian futures that rich elites are peddling us endlessly through their movies and TV series.

And dating too.

Well they were during the Dark Ages for sure. I certainly hope we are not on the cusp of a 2nd Dark Age !!

Yes and HELL YES. Religion IS a form of politics, and a fairly abusive one at that.

No. One is about clinging to dogmatic beliefs to make sense of your existence in a world where you are miniscule and ignorant, and resigning yourself to the fact that you are powerless to understand, much less do anything about, the seemingly random tragedies that befall humanity; and the other one is religion. Hehehe, fooled ya. The other is humans taking charge of reality and dealing with practicalities and using our reason and forethought to shape the world in which we live - to make the experience of our lives just, and predictable and prosperous over the long term - in defiance of the random chaos of the universe. Politics is a means by which we argue for, or otherwise make manifest, the rules and codes by which we seek to carve a space for individuals to have a shot at their fullest potental. it's where we poke our thumbs into the eye of superstition and defeatism, and the helplessness of religion, and actually demand an seize control of the ship. And, yes, sometimes that system breaks and we have to work really hard to fix our mistakes. Like now.

You need to read Milovan Djilas's book, THE NEW CLASS. In spite of your protestations to the contrary, there are political total system ideologies. They are fatally flawed, just like religion. In fact, the worst of them, including communism, parallel religions in their intellectual structure and control devices.

@wordywalt I'll look at it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Government employees don't like it when you say that out loud, especially judges.

It's sad to see the cynicism here about politics. I understand it. Political discourse has been corrupted over recent decades, most shockingly in supposedly progressive political parties. But such cynicism works only to the advantage of reactionary political forces, which foster cynicism about politics, and benefit from people's sense of abandonment of and believe in political processes. But how else do we facilitate change - through the largess of the world's rich elites, multinational corporations, global media? I think not. What people want to see is idealism and conviction in politics. It was good to see some of that in the Bernie Sanders movement recently. No wonder the big parties scuttled him. I'm a naturally very cynical person. But I'll be damned if I'll accept just sailing passively toward a dystopian future to the benefit of the elites.

There's nothing cynical about it. Politics is about controlling people. That's what it's for. Uncontrolled mobs are a hazard to themselves and everything around them. The more people there are the more control we need. Two people can usually sort their own shit out. Two hundred need some basic ground rules. Two thousand need leadership. Two million spawn management.

Well said, David

@TruthseekerV how do know these things are true?

@TruthseekerV controlled opposition and Bernie was in on it. You'll have to better than that. I understand the cynicism about politics, but these claims are something else. Mr Sanders might be many things but a conspirator with parties he definitely is not. I sense we probably agree on many things, but can't go with you there. Cheers.

@TruthseekerV honestly, I think faced with the choice of Trump or Clinton, he thought of the country, as Mr Sanders does, and supported her, but with no relish, I'm sure. Can't blame him for that. I don't think his supporters did, but they knew that the party had swindled the process. I agree that corporate Democrats like the Clintons are little different from the Republicans. Like all progressive parties since the 1980s, including here in Aus, it has been corrupted by freemarket ideology and neoliberalism. The electoral consequences are plain to see: catastrophe.

Absolutely... now combine these forces...

godef Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

Seems to me that they have always gone hand-in-hand. Separation of church and state? Yeah, right...

@DancesWithWorms It's all about control.

and manipulation....

Religion and politics do not go together. Almost all wars have religious rebellion in there somewhere. The only who who gains over fights in religions and politics are the ones who run the country. Though I would say Hello. I am looking for the same thing.I want to spend the last part of my life in love.Who knows? I don't debate, take bullying, calling me cuss words, acting like I am stupid, and disagreements in beliefs. Everyone should have the happiness of feeling they have their life figured out some.

You are on the right general track, but not accurate. Religion is a total system ideology -- one which purports to include and explain everything. There are also political total system ideologies, including communism. All total system ideologies are totalitarian systems demanding obedience to false dogma. Those systems are all about control.

Yes, and you can add trade and finance to that, ie commerce.

And being out of control. So much being lost in the argument with little to be gained by the divisions they create.

I think Christians better watch. Donald Trump is the closest creature to an Antichrist I have ever been exposed to. I call him 45 because I refuse to refer to him as part of humanity. Search Antichrist on the internet.You will find much Biblical information. If I were a Christian, I would be digging me a hidey hole. The people who praise him also break a commandment. Thou shall have false GODS.That throws you into the depths of hell.I am giving you the Biblical warning. DO not assume I am a Christian for I am not . As a matter of fact, my little religion box is not labeled. I do know bits and pieces of the Bible. No bullying, skepticism, trying to label, cuss me. I am non violent. I am not into negative energy. I give people their space to believe as they wish It is a 2nd amendment right.

To some extent it is. However in both religion and politics there are some altruists.

As far as religion goes, whatever is out there, there's nothing I can do about it. "it is what it is " as everyone seems to like to say.

Politically, I don't care about anything anymore. It's all up to the next generation. Just keep their paws off of my social security and Medicare.

Your view of politics may be for control, mine is for freedom.

Yea I am convinced both systems are brilliant designs created to meet our every need both lateral and vertical.

Khmm Level 5 Feb 19, 2018

Thank you for telling me. 🙂

They are not the same and will never be when it comes to controlling in our daily life we all need to control ourselves anywhere we are at any time

Which is why they do not like political anarchists. Are you an anarchist? [en.wikipedia.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.