Agnostic.com

55 4

Are you racist?

Trust Rugglesby to bring an elephant into the room.
The poll is anonymous as far as I know and is not linked to your answers or to you. Rather than just ticking the "no" box I challenge you to delve a bit deeper. Personally I reject the term "race" I do not believe in it. Others have stated their thoughts that they align it to "breed" for other species. To me, a "breed" has been bred for particular traits. I am a Heinz 57 variety, my ancestry is pretty much anything from Irish to Australian Aboriginal and most in between. Any breeding for traits has been bred out of me, I am a mongrel. Some consider race to be based on language or religion. We are not religious, but could still have a prejudice against any or all religions. I do not believe that would make us racists. For the purposes of this question I would like you to consider that cataloguing people as a race, is in fact being racist. Not necessarily that you think ill of the people you put into those categories, but simply by the fact that you do make the distinction. Remembering that this is not just about ancestry but more about appearance, or religion or language. A racist person would look at my fair skin and auburn hair and declare me Caucasian totally ignoring my Aboriginal grandfather. So the question is, do you categorise people (including yourself) for any reason as belonging to a "race"? To emphasize my point I am making the poll questions harsh. Feel free to make any comments you like, this is only my opinion, I am wrong more often than right, but please consider it only as an exercise to think outside the boxes. Clearly their is no obligation to answer the questions at all and to answer is only a test of your ability to express your own doubts and certainties.

• 0 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 85 votes
Rugglesby 8 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (51 - 55)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We all are. Yes, it's true.

i not only don't believe that i am racist, i also believe i am not racist (there, we have agnosticism and atheism regarding racism too!) first of all, as ashley montagu eloquently proposed, race an artificial social construct. anthropologically, there are families and populations, not race. now, an artificial social construct has been constructed and therefore exists, as such. it can't be avoided. people are going to notice your skin color, the amount of epicanthic fold you've got, stuff like that. and subcultures have evolved (nonscientific use of the word) from the separations this construct has caused. to be racist you have to think there is something more to it, or at least feel there is something more to it. i hope i don't.

g

Am l racist? No. Do l notice race? Yes. I also notice fat, skinny, beautiful, plain, ugly, tall, short, hair, color, and baldness. Being observant does not make one a racist. Treating them differently does.

Depends on ones definition of "racist"... I may want to rid the world of white folks, but I don't have any nuclear weapons, biological, or control of media or academic mental manipulations, or others of mass destruction, so I can hate all "white" people but so what? I can't act upon my "hate." However "white" people have those capabilities and if they hate and wish to rid the world of "Black" ppl. they can do so over time. So I can have racist thoughts, wishes, or desire, but that's how they will remain.. but with "Whites" the story is different, they can act and institute their racist notions and make it come alive and into reality.

Biologically and evolutionarily, the concept of race does not exist in humans. Biologically, race implies a geographically isolated population that has evolved independent of its parent population and would under normal conditions not interbreed with the parent population. Not a new species, a subspecies perhaps.

Humans by their mobility has precluded the ability of any human population on this planet to be or remain geographically isolated. Interbreeding, either willingly or forced has occurred between all human populations. Every human carries a little DNA from every group somewhere in their code. There is no such thing as a pure group.

Skin color does not define race. It defines melatonin production as a result of geographic proximity to, or away from the equator or poles. It is a consequence of adaptation and sexual selection.

In humans, "race" remains a cultural construct, not a biological determinant.

For me personally, I am predominantly of northern and western European heritage. But for over 20 years of my teaching career I have lived on various Native reservations or taught in all Native schools. In all these instances I was by and large the minority. I have felt reverse discrimination, but never was deterred by it realizing that as they got to know me better it would disappear. And thats what happened

Now everybody has some area where discrimenation creeps in. Humans are about hierarchy, even if they consciously fight against it. To claim no racism whoatsoever is to dimenish the significance of what racism is according to scholars who study racism. Its to deny the insidiousness of racist behavior.

t1nick Level 8 July 16, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26225
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.