Agnostic.com

10 1

Do you think the recent upsurge in overt religion is a direct result of our weakened economy?

Pastor_Dan 4 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it's been happening since eary on. probably the 80's when religious sects tipped the balance of power the republicans way . then religion = power= money. oh dear

I am genuinely curious, not being obtuse (I hope), or argumentative; but could you please explain exactly what you mean by "weakened economy"? I don't really see it where I live, and the news I watch does not indicate such that I recall.

I don't think of our economy as something encompassed by Wall Street.
In a survey last year, 70% of the US population consider themselves Middle class but only 50% have middleclass incomes. That downhill trend’s been going on for decades.

@Pastor_Dan OK, I see.

It seems to me to be a result of too many factors to list. I would say that the main three are; indoctrination, response to other religious people's actions, and a response to extreme liberal propaganda.

Lack of access to resources is always a driving factor for extremism. People left out look to those that are receiving the resources and feel they are undeserving. My question is why do these same people support the wealthiest people for leadership? They end up loosing even more resources. Religion seems to be the catalyst.

I have to agree with you on this point.

Jack, I think leadership and wealthy has always been part of this country.
A simplistic answer would be, "If I need someone to solve my problem, do I ask the one with money or the bum on the street?"

@Pastor_Dan Yes it has but today it has grown all out of proportion. I recently sent a posting on how bad it has gotten.

What recent upsurge?

Last I heard, the upsurge was in the religiously unaffiliated.

Maybe what you're seeing is the religious getting increasingly vocal and strident. And worried.

No. It is more due to the aggressive attempts of evangelical religions to expand their sphere of control.

No, I think its because fewer people are believing in GOD anymore because they are so aware especially with the internet. it could also be a factor.

I do think that's a factor,yes. People get desperate and start turning to things like religion in tough times.

I don't look for results or reasons of a "weakened economy". I don't have need for many answers to my questions anymore. I bypass religion. So...

No. I think we're seeing an "upsurge" because their numbers are decreasing, so they're getting louder. They're feeling threatened. They don't like being told they can't use their delusions to justify discriminating against others. Typical christian persecution complex.

Squeeky wheel gets the oil.

@jayneonacobb Or yanked off, thrown onto the scrap heap, and replaced by something less noisy.

@KKGator well, sometimes it's better to replace a broken wheel with one that works.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26232
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.