Agnostic.com

7 1

Being a new found Agnostic, i would appreciate any advice or wisdom from fellow Agnostic peers.

twshield 8 Oct 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Study some religion seriously and you may become an atheist. 😉

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. - Mark Twain

Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Green Ingersoll

A man must be both stupid and uncharitable who believes there is no virtue or truth but on his own side. - Joseph Addison

Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Hi twshield! Welcome! I have not been on this site long; just a few weeks. Feel free to check out my member profile statement, and others. I would love to give you feedback if you post any specific questions/concerns. I had my own journey that helped me get past the fear of divine punishment if I am wrong.

If you are not already, become an avid reader. I find most books, including well researched fiction adl to my accumulated knowledge. A great book that ws recommended to me by someone on this site is "Sapiens", which is a nonfiction general history of man. I am now reading "Sphie's Choice", a novel of a history of philosophy. Presented in novel form, it is a lto mroe palatable than the dry philosophy courses i had in college and I think I am lerning more from it too. That was also recommended by someone on this site.

Avoid the trap of language games, there is a a common misconception that there are atheists and theists and agnosticism is somewhere in between. This is patently false. Atheism and Theism do have a middle ground, it's called Deism and it is predicted that maybe there is a God or God's but the belief that if in fact they do exist they are non-interventionist. So I will break it down , atheism and Theism address the question of what do you believe , do you think God exists Gnosticism and Agnosticism address the separate question of , is the existence of a god or gods in general knowable. So here are the combos and the definitions agnostic theists believe that they believe there is a God but they are uncertain or believe that it's not knowable wether or not we are able to know for sure if there in fact is, a gnostic theist not only believes that there is a God but also claims to know that God does in fact exist or at least believe that that knowability can in fact occur to someone or themselves, a gnostic atheist believes there is not good and know for sure that God either does not exist or doesn't think that that information is unknowable, agnostic atheists believe that God does not exist and are fairly or completely uncertain about the possible existence of a god or gods. Hope that helps. Note that these variables do not apply to the concept of an afterlife i.e. Buddhists .

try to embrace the beauty of the universe and the complexities which lead to our existence and that of our infinite universe.

apply your own meaning to your life, live, learn and embrace different cultures.

Continue to explore and ask questions. yes there are things we do not know, but there are more answers than you might think. Learning is a life long journey.

Celebrate your journey in reason that is ahead.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2633
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.