Agnostic.com

14 4

Vegans

Are there any vegans in this group? Or let me rephrase: Are there any whole-food-plant-based agnostics here? And if not, why?

Hope4Zoe 6 Nov 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Vegetarian here, except some eggs (boneless chicken). Ha! The reason I stopped eating meat (anything that has a face), was a suggestion. I read a bumper sticker that said, "Meat is Dead" and over about two years of my mind playing with that concept, I developed a repulsion to eating animal guts... yuk! Conceptually anyway, cuz, it still tastes the same, but, I know what I'm eating and that thought is more powerful than what it tastes like.
Variety, I thought I would have less when I gave up eating meat, but the opposite was true. A world of flavor I had never noticed opened up to me. It seems as though my taste buds were numb from over stimulation and after about a month, I started noticing subtleties of flavor I had not tasted before, and so, my love of food continues. I don't bother with meat substitutes... well,sometimes I may put chopped up veggie burgers in a pot of chili, but, not into most of that stuff. Another thing, I don't eat too many veggies, ha! I love Mexican Food, Thai, almost anything actually and in the 24 years I've been a non meat eater, I have been to many restaurants and a few steakhouses and I have never had a problem ordering something good to the amazement of my meat eating friends.🙂
Man, that movie Earthlings is powerful, I watched it 10 years ago and remember thinking that the human race deserves whatever it gets... Thank you Abrahamic Religions that, HATE the other, and call it LOVE, in the name of their own God...

Hey I'm no vegan but I do believe that animals should not be thrown into a Cage before they end up on my Plate. I think they should have a nice long life full of Love, Good food, walking around before they do. What's your thoughts on that? I would love to talk too you about that 🙂

Watch Earthlings, Forks Over Knives, Food, Inc. Vanishing of the Bees, Live and Let Live, and Cowspiracy. That's a good start. And then there's Dr. Greger's blog for all things to do with health. [nutritionfacts.org]

What the Health is also a game-changer. We just had the best vegan food for Thanksgiving.It is the most amazing of mind sets.

Me me me! I truly think it is trending right now-hopefully for the right reasons. But I live near Buffalo, NY and there definitely is a growing community of plant-bases.

Good to hear Melind! I hope it's not a trend. I've been this way for decades. I wouldn't ever consider going back to eating the lives of the miserable. In LA there are so many options. I can now walk to a vegan cafe with most amazing tasty and healthy food. The world is changing . . . as it will always do. Thank you for being thoughtful about "others."

Very vegetarian, almost vegan but can’t give up on the eggs. Became vegetarian at the same time as atheist due to the blinkers of 40’years coming off. I am back to my weight in college, fitter and full of energy. It’s a big turn around from where I was at. Also mentally healthy now by getting rid of religion in my life. Go atheist veggies!

Great to heat that Hugene2002. I'm all for more atheist veggies!

Hi. First, my claim to 'fame': I am the biggest vegetarian hypocrite in the world----- that does not make me proud! I go for awhile not eating meat, then, with other problems, not involving eating, I get depressed, and chew up another resident of this rock.

We go into the supermarket and there are the rows of packaged 'pinky stuff' (meat, no hair or blood on it) all in shiny cellophane, and we hear the cloying music- no sounds of the pain and terror that went into the creation of this 'product'.

But what about Nature? I am not going to say, Nature "created" anything; sounds like I am on a religious 'trip'. We have carnivores, omnivores and herbivores. It is part of Nature, whether we like it or not. To me, it is not pleasant to watch a cat rip apart another animal, that also wants to live. Would it be less distressing to see a lion wither away and die of starvation? Reality is not always pleasant- sometimes it is hard and mean- at least to some standards.

Lions and cats have no choice about their nature. Humans have a huge choice. We don't stalk the old, the sick, the helpless. We KILL everything, always, all the time. And as opposed to lions, tigers, and bears there is no chance of escape. (Wasn't the real Diogenes a vegetarian or was that Pathagerous?) Anyway, eating the amounts of meat we eat is dangerous to us individually and dangerous to us collectively. We can choose to be more humane, more thoughtful, more just, more compassionate. That's the difference between us and the poor beasts we exploit for food, clothing, entertainment, work, and experimentation.

Hope, hi, back again. We are basically on the same page. One thing that I didn't mention on my first note, but you did mention- that was "entertainment". I had the misfortune of working with the hillbillies much of my life. How bad can it get? "Vulgar", by today's standards, may be an archaic word, but it does apply to the hillbillies. They'uns jes loved te git in the jungle an' blow the guts out of sumthin'---- and then blather about it at lunch.

@Diogenes I'm so sorry to hear that. There are many such "videoed" episodes like what you mention, on FB and other social media. I don't know why people like to video the vulgar things they do. It's not for food or protection but out of some need to destroy. We need more compassion on this 6 billion plus rock.

Although I believe in a balanced diet I can probably transition into a vegerarian easily as my favorites are fruit, veggies and nuts. Not sure about vegan though considering how much I like eggs and honey. Ok I'll think about giving up meat completely. I rarely eat it anyway.

Wow! Mantra, that's wonderful to hear. Every step towards compassion is a giant step. There are alternatives to honey (organic maple syrup. That's the only one I use.) Check out Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. You rock! (One Green Planet is another great site. Lots of good recipes and news.) Also, Harvard came out with a study connecting cancer with red meat.

@Hope4Zoe, I stopped eating red meat a long time ago and only eat a bit chicken and seafood. I'm thinking my next step should be no chicken and then no seafood. Hope I can do it. I have several vegetarian and vegan friends so will probably get encouragement from them 🙂

Mantra, I am not a "radical"- and I do nothing that will enable me 'to join the crowd'. Veggies taste good, which is a very good subjective reason for eating them. The objective reason for not killing something is overtly obvious- at least to me.

Help! LOL. I got a good deal on some veggies. Although I stacked the carrots and put them in a cold room, they are turning bad. So as far as a "saving", there is none if a large portion turn bad. I thought about wrapping each veggie in cellophane. I will experiment till I find the answer.

I am tired of talking about religion- something that has no bearing on my life.

@Mantra and Hope. Another very good site is Happy Cow. Because of my age I doubt if I would fit in with their young ages, but they have restaurant reviews, from all over the world, river cruises... so many things!

I was raised a strict vegetarian by strict god bothering parents, and since I decided to escape the church at the same time as I left home, I changed my diet as well. The diet change was mostly a matter of convenience I will admit. After a strict vegetarian diet while growing up one ends up with a taste hangover that means that meat dishes don't have the appeal that they probably do for someone who grew up eating meat.

Strange, that you had such parents; at least they put you on track for one thing. I don't have all the stats on this, but people that think: humanists, agnostics, tend to view the other residence of this rock with more respect than the religious: "God gave me this pork chop."

I was vegetarian for about 10 years and then vegan for 2----long story short, I made myself extremely ill, and I'll not try either diet again.

Sorry to hear that. I've been vegetarian/vegan for 40 years. The one thing I've feel I've done right for the planet, people, animals, and me. I wish you had seen a nutritionist. People who eat the least amount of meat usually live the healthiest and longest lives. Example: The SDAs in southern Californa. (It's not only the meat, it's about connection. The one thing that religious and spiritual people have is more connection and community.)

Mist. I am 'just a bit over 35'---- LOL, and I won a fitness contest this year- against some in their 20s. I have no intention of being a slave to diet- but a person must be aware of what they eat. I have no intention of being vegan. If a person was starving, would they let fresh eggs rot. Just what would be the purpose of that?

I keep missing to state my magor point. I VERY seldom eat meat- if I do I get depressed after. To me a veggie diet makes sense.

Well, I suffer from clinical depression. I also have a collagen deficiency on the side and feel much better when I get animal protein and fatty acids, even though I had to come to terms with the harsh reality of how humans have evolved. Plant protein just isn't utilized as efficiently. Generally speaking, it's a genetic luxury to be able to function as a vegetarian or vegan. Some people with what I have go the other way and stop being able to tolerate most meat, however. It depends on what their immune and GI systems do in response to the collagen deficiency.

I'm a vegetarian with some vegan leanings. A vegan diet is difficult to maintain, though I can manage it for extended periods if I'm focused. I have done raw, plant-based, whole-food meals for up to four months or so. I guess the reason I find it to be so difficult to sustain is the lack of variety without spending a small fortune and/or a lot of time on food. I manage to eat a decent diet most of the time otherwise, but I start to feel like I'm having the same half dozen foods over and over.

There are sooo many meat alternatives now-Beyondburger type companies, cheese like nut based alternatives, all the alternate "milks". If you need reasons, watch Earthlings, What the Health and many other videos about the harm animal farming does to just about everything( the first harm being the torture and murder of defenseless animals).

I probably only eat animal protein once or twice a week more for environmental reasons. I have zero plans to give it up completely. Generally I won’t eat ground beef, non organic chicken or eggs are out of the question, as are non-kosher hotdogs. My eating habits/diet have nothing to do with my spiritual health.

Eating habits (all habits) are tied in with who we are and how we be in the world. From our stance on environmental issues, social justice issues, caring for animals (they do not consent to be slaughtered). Everything is connected and related.

Let me re-phrase, I eat very healthy, I’m an avid yogi, I buy local, I’m a great cook, I believe in sharing meals typically have 2 dinner parties a week with diverse circle of foodies, I simply have no desire to be a vegan and find vegan substitutes are an assault to my pallet

A while back, I asked a person, "If there was a cow in the pasture would you take a sharp stick and poke its eye out?" The answer was, "Of course not."---- but chewing on another resident of this rock is okay????

Wish I could be but meat is so ingrained in me I look for it when its missing. Plus it would hard for me as a diabetic.

What if you had more theory behind your practice? Have read much about nutrition, factory farming, social injustice, environmentalism, animal welfare? There's this man I met in New Mexico who is diabetic and has kidney failure. Doctor's said he wouldn't live two years. That was 40 years ago. He's in his 60s and has been vegan since he was diagnosed. Something to look into with a nutritionist. Animals products are hard on the kidneys.

I've been vegetarian for many years, and now, except for eggs from my own happy chickens, I am closer to vegan.
It began long ago, when someone asked me , out of curiosity rather than being confrontational : "if you love animals so much - how can you eat them ?"

After mulling that over for a short time - next day, I was done with eating flesh, and all the associated misery it causes. Along with disastrous environmental issues.

Yes, with me it was a challenge by a family member to research nutrition. After two weeks in the library, the only sane and rational thing was to give up meat and most processed foods.

I can see myself at some point going vegetarian; but as someone with low blood sugar issues, I need to make sure I have adequate protein in my diet. I am now what I call a pescafowlatarian. I eat only some seafood--I don't like most so that is limited--and fowl (mostly chicken, but some turkey). And, even that is a small part of my overall diet. I stopped eating mammals when a neighbor killed a cow right in front of its mother. They had been allowed to be together--only the two of them--for three or four years before this was done. The mother went crazy--mooing, running around the field; and she mourned her offspring for a long time. For months, she would wander around the field looking for it, mooing for it to come. It was heartbreaking and from that point on I had no desire to eat anything that nurses its young.

Yes

Almost vegan. Vegetarian because of moral feelings and the rest (except honey and some local wild salmon) because of dietary reactions (dairy, eggs, soy).

Good for you! For me, it was for moral, environmental, and health issues.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2640
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.