Agnostic.com

5 1

Thinking outside of 'the box'

What are some processes you use in order to think outside of your 'box'?

AstralSmoke 8 Nov 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1. Climb out of my box.
  2. Think.
  3. Don't get back in the box afterwards.

Joking apart I'd say there actually is a process but it's not quite that simple. It's something 'Street Epistemology' explores:

1. Defining a deeply held personal belief.
  2. Grading your confidence that it's likely to be true on a scale from 0% > 100%.
  3. Honestly assessing whether your level of confidence in your deeply held belief is arrived at via reliable (testable) means or simply personal opinion / gut feeling.
  4. Asking yourself if a non-partisan individual would unquestionably arrive at the same conclusion or perhaps have an equally unsupportable opinion contrary to yours (Remember that 'I don't believe you' isn't a contrary opinion - it's not being convinced of a pre-existing one therefore the burden of evidence falls entirely on the claimant not the skeptic).
  5. Reassessing whether you level of confidence should really be as high as you imagined in the light of seeing why it possibly being less supportable than you may have presumed.

Here's a good example of Street Epistemology:

Paul Level 5 Nov 1, 2017

Learn, learn, learn! If you wanted to come up with a better, more sustainable means of transportation, would you use the same thought process?

I think that being an artist as I am is part and parcel of thinking outside the "box". I usually just let a problem or new job percolate in my mind for some time before trying to actually start any work on the idea or job.

Wow, I knew we had a hidden bond.

Thinking outside the box. Guess it could be triggered by many different things. Including people with pessimistic comments. ????

I don't purposely try to think according to boxes , or the lack thereof. But it seems from some of the reactions I've gotten over time, my thoughts tend to be uncommon. Oh well !

Your box might be as stretched and contorted as marhas'. We all have some sort of limits to what we think is our way. You have an uncommon box!

Meditation and yoga are a big part of my life and what keeps me mentally and physically fit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2644
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.