Agnostic.com

1 0

Not sure what Category this goes in. It's style question. I was writing a message a few minutes ago and stopped. I want to quote a friend and am not sure what is considered appropriate. I am going to repeat the quote here and ask your advice on the proper way to handle it.
*His exact quote😘
"I don't like these mountains. They eat niggers like me here."

Dick_Martin 7 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know for sure that African-Americans reserve the right to use that word themselves, about themselves, so it becomes a gray area to quote the word and spell it out even if uttered by a person of color.

This is probably a pretty good summary of the issue: [theguardian.com]

You can usually rely on respectable media outlets for the current thinking on this because they have to struggle with this editorially all the time. Unfortunately if you believe the Guardian, the answer is, "it depends" and editors read tea leaves about it and use it very selectively in "certain situations".

I wonder if it's discussed in the various style manuals or not.

Anyway for non-professional writing it's probably best to merely suggest it with n----- or similar. It will be clear from the context and no one will have an excuse to take offense or assume you're a closet racist or something.

Organized response. Makes sense. Consider your advice as taken. Thank you.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26459
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.