Agnostic.com

3 2

What place most influenced you at en emotional level?

From glorious mountains with serene waterfalls and light, fresh air, to the sticky humid jungles of South American, to murky underwater slime while SCUBA diving I’ve experience a large range of environments including a few man-made wonders.

Some places touch me, change my perspective of what life is or was like in the past.

One of the most influential locations I experienced was during a fall week-end while helping a farmer many miles from Devils Lake ND. The school accountant (week-end farmer) had rented several abandoned farmsteads and we were traveling on what was little more then ruts on a damp path that quickly transition to dry and very steep hill. When we reached the top, the world changed as a long ago abandoned farmhouse stood. When I entered the structure, an intense sense of loneliness and loss was almost overcoming as I envisioned a single person living completely isolated form others. The structure was in the shape of an L with a small wooden platform where the two rooms intersected. The larger of the two rooms was the kitchen, It had a wood-burning stove and a wash basin. It measured less then eight by less then ten feet The only other room measure measured just under six feet by eight feet. A wooden ladder nailed into the wall of the kitchen allowed you to enter the attic above the two rooms. In the second floor, the average height of the steep slanted roof was only a few feet. Just enough room for a sleeping bag above each room. As winter in Devils Lake is absolutely cruel, I am guessing this, to avoid freezing, is where the farmer slept above the stove. The only other hint of civilization was a barn located a few hundred feet from the homestead. Even with a 4x4, this this farmstead was very difficult place to reach, and once there, aside from the sound of a huge number of birds that lived in a dead tree at the edge of a huge pond, there was no hint of life. Although perhaps not accurate, it was easy to imagine what life would have been like living in that house.

What places have touched you?

NoMagicCookie 8 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Standing by one immense granite boulder in a blueberry field in raw spring in Maine. The blueberry bushes are fantastic colors hard to describe. pure blue sky . no clouds and bright sunshine. As I stand looking at the boulder one small puff of fog/mist formed and dissipated. Somehow very moving

The Lower East Side Tenement Museum in NYC . You can go into a tenement building that hasn't changed in almost a century. Walking through the hallways and into these tiny dark 3-room shotgun apartments, four to a floor, where maybe 10 people or more lived in each, and I picked up the feeling of maybe hundreds of immigrants managing to forge a new life in these squalid conditions in this strange land, and that this was how my great-grandparents lived.

my sister and i, both living in maryland and working in d.c., were driving home together through d.c. and found ourselves in a neighborhood we'd never seen before. we saw a rat the size of a possum running in the gutter. my sister wanted to stop and buy some food so we stopped so she could run into a grocery store. the produce was all wilted; the meat was rotten. what they sold to the people in that neighborhood was stuff that would never have made it to the shelves of our local grocery stores. it was shocking. sometimes people say that poor people can't afford to eat well, and this is true enough, and that they don't know HOW to eat well, which for a variety of reasons could be true too, but do people know that the stores are charging more for spoiled food than comparable stores in less poor neighborhoods charge for fresh food? you can be as educated as you like and know everything there is to know about nutrition but if you're poor and stuck in a poor neighborhood, and all they sell you is rotten food and they charge you double for it at that, what are you supposed to eat -- and should you then be criticized for eating it, whatever it is?

g

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:265238
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.