Agnostic.com

12 1

Do/did you teach your children about religions? Do you skip the subject at all? Or do you prefer to throw the stories in with other fairy tales? This is all age appropriate, of course.

• 2 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 11 votes
ashortbeauty 8 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My parents were both Atheist (both have passed so it isn’t that they converted or something) and they raised us Unitarian Universalist. I was taught Bible stories as Christian mythology along with Roman and Greek mythologies.
Did cause a problem when I was 5 and attended a girl scout thing. They had me pasting this picture to make cards and I asked who the lady was. The woman got a bit flustered and said it was the Virgin Mary.
When I asked who that was she really turned white. Another woman came over, found out what was going on and calmly said, “she’s Jesus’ mother.”
They both almost fainted when I asked “Who’s that?”
They stared at me the rest of the time and kept crossing themselves.
When I got home, I asked my mom who Jesus was and she said, “he’s in some of your bedtime stories.”
I walked away thinking these women are crazy, they think there are gods living on mount Olympus!”
I didn’t realize they were different religions.

Religion is a complete waste of time and I see no reason to complicate the lives of children with it. Anything that can be learned from a religious parable, I can make up my own story and do it without dogma. Even better, I can show why being an ethical person is adventitious.

I raised my daughter in a Unitarian Universalist congregation, partly due to the quality of religious education they offer. (Their sex ed program is second to none, as well, but I didn't know that going in.) I homeschooled her and required that she read the Bible through once so that she would be able to understand the many Biblical references in literature and the arts, but we approached it as historical literature rather than scripture.

Her father had her baptized in his Presbyterian church when he joined the place, and she went to church with him on alternate Sundays until his death when she was 9. (I found it interesting that no one from that church ever checked on her after his death.)

She's raising her child in a UU congregation, too 🙂

I was raised UU, too. It took my oldest sister 20 years to get her husband to switch from Methodist. They moved from Texas to Minnisota a few years back and attended the Unitarian Church our parents got married at, back in 1954.

I played my heavily Catholic parents a little. They pestered me nonstop to have my two kids baptized into their addiction, so I took the path of least resistance and agreed...knowing I lived in CA at the time and they lived in CO so they would never know that once the holy water dried...that would be the end of it. This was in '91 and it made sense at the time, but if it would have happened today I would fight like a wildcat against it.

I never liked the fact that they indoctrinated me into their fantasy world by sticking me in St Johns Of Perpetual Guilt without considering for a second whether I wanted or needed this. I was determined to go about this another way with my kids and to let them decide as they experience life whether they wanted religion in their life...or not, and not to simply hang a black criss-cross tie, white shirt and crucifix on them and push them out of the car like happened to me. I never told them they were baptized, but will if it comes up.

My ex-wife is a born-again cristian. She like to take the kids to church on the weekends she has them so when they come home I usually sit them down and ask them what they learned in church and either let them know if it's something worth knowing, if they should dismiss it or if another religion says the same thing or something else. I'd rather my kids didn't grow up religious but I won't love them any less. So I attempt to educate them about everything and then adding logic to show where it all falls apart.

I told my kids about many religions, both "real??" and from fantasy worlds. I did tell them which ones were believed by people from around the word, and during what time frames if they are now defunct.
Perspective is good.

When my children were still under my roof I was still nominally theist. I'm afraid I was guilty of teaching them dogma as if it was true. Thankfully they both ended up not believing anyway.

My current wife raised her children to decide what they wanted to explore and to make their own decisions about it.

Her son wanted no part of it from the very beginning. Today, he's just finishing up a philosophy degree and he's as atheist as they come.

Her daughter was fascinated by Christianity, requested and got children's bible story books, which mother read to daughter from nightly. The daughter attended church with her parents as she grew up. By the time I was in her life she was a senior in high school taking catechism classes (Presbyterian).

The kids were told they would be presented with the "evidence" and then draw their own conclusions. Alone in her class, she said her conclusion was that god isn't real. That's my step-daughter; never pulls punches.

I think church appealed to her because she was very social, but ultimately, she saw through it, and this was not due to any sort of coaching. Her mother was carefully neutral and her daughter has always had a prickly attitude toward her mother and would not adopt her mother's atheism out of admiration or something. And her biological father was a church-goer; the catechism was at his church.

I like to think our children are examples of why the "rise of the Nones" is happening. I don't think the current generation is bound by the taboos of the past, or afraid of following evidence where it leads -- at least not to the extent that past generations were.

Give them the same free choice I wish I had offered to me. They have to live their own lives and can also freely choose to live their own lies.

you can only guide really

I told them about what I believe and told them about other options and left it to them.

When my kids were growing up we told them about many different belief systems. Both of my kids are atheist now and I believe it is because they used the brains they have and decided on their own. I was not always a non-believer. I went through Christianity, Wicca, and now nothing. We never led them to believe in Santa or the tooth fairy. We didn't want to start them out with lies. We always explained that stories are stories and that they always come from some place. Whether they are fact or fiction, it is up to them to decide what they want to believe or not believe.

Madi Level 3 Feb 20, 2018

I did not teach my daughters anything about religion. If a question came up, I answered it honestly. If they asked me what I believed, I told them. If they wanted to go to church with a friend, I let them. My approach was simply: It is your life. Those are your choices.

Shared as many stories as I knew about as many religions as possible and then let her decide.

EricT Level 4 Feb 20, 2018

I did the same with mine

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26646
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.