Agnostic.com

3 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very interesting article. It explains a lot in regards to my life experience.

Very interesting article.

here is an excerpt

What kind of a bootstrap or merit-based game can we be left with if poverty cripples the contestants? Especially if it has intergenerational effects? The uglier converse of the bootstrap hypothesis—that those who fail to transcend their circumstances deserve them—makes even less sense in the face of the grim biology of poverty. When the firing gun goes off, the poor are well behind the start line. Despite my success, I certainly was.

So how did I get out? By chance.

It’s easy to attach a post-facto narrative of talent and hard work to my story, because that’s what we’re fed by everything from Hollywood to political stump speeches. But it’s the wrong story. My escape was made up of a series of incredibly unlikely events, none of which I had real control over.:

Damn, he's not much on brevity, is he.

THHA Level 7 Jan 17, 2019

Not every idea is best expressed in a sound bite. Some concepts require a little more attention.

If you dilute you message with unneeded fluff, what effect do you suppose that has on "attention"?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:268089
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.