Agnostic.com

3 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting post.

Intetesting. A radical approach, but makes a heck of a lot of sense. I was fascinated by the genetic knots. And I did not know that the foetus decides genitals gender in first trimester, but brain doesnt decide gender until second trimester.

Epigenetics is a fascinating field!

@A2Jennifer im vaguely familiar. Ive taught biology for many years and its an up and coming field.

@t1nick yep. It’s big in trauma research too.

I think it's fair to say the genitals don't determine gender. It's probably best to say the genitals and the gender of the person usually match. Nature isn't always consistent so what to do when it isn't? Be respectful and kind, I guess.

I read that DNA does nothing more than create amino acids to make proteins. We have no idea what makes those proteins form such different parts of the body. I'm not sure if we're being told in the talk that the shape of the DNA is playing that part, or perhaps she was saying the knots do it.

There’s a lot of steps in development and therefore a lot of things that might not “match.”
I still talk about an individual who spoke to my sociology class in college. This person looked remarkably like Rodney Dangerfield, was raised male but always felt like a girl. As an adult, DNA testing revealed that she was genetically female.
I figure we’re lucky if all of our sex/gender/sexuality characteristics happen to align with the “norm.”

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:269615
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.