Agnostic.com

17 1

being a man/woman

What does it mean to be a man these days? What values make a man good? What is necessary to become a man? What's changed from 10-20-30 or 40 years ago?

Same question for being a woman.....

Cutiebeauty 9 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They have always been the same values throughout time.

1. Try not to be a dick

2. Enjoy life and not take it to seriously

3. Make a few people laugh

There you go, you found them, the secrets to life man or woman. I'll be expecting my check in the morning.

What about how someone treats others?

@Cutiebeauty I refer to rule #1

For both, same as it ever was: anything that just means being a decent human being. Being a "mensch" -- a person of integrity and honor. But it's also different for every person.

Being responsible for your own survival — for both men and women.

I see as many choices and options in behaviors as there are humans. And even then, it's all fluid.

The core of the human experience is essentially a tension between our animal nature and our human nature playing out at a glacial pace. This tension's relationship to environmental circumstances is beautifully showcased in the Lina Wertmüller film, "Swept Away".

When conditions are primitive (those days), male/female roles are distinct: men are domineering, protector/providers, and women are submissive, child-rearer/care-givers. In high functioning modern societies with stable economies (these days), women are whatever they want to be and men are idiots. (YMMV)

OK, I wrote all this before I read your replies below. Looks like you were not asking about the difference between man and woman but the difference between child and adult? I don't know. I'll get back with you if I ever grow up.

skado Level 9 Jan 21, 2019

OK... Since you're a male... The question is what makes you a man?...

@Cutiebeauty
You mean as opposed to a woman or as opposed to a boy?

@skado as opposed to a boy... In other words, what is the definition of "being a man?" today, yesterday, last year, ten years ago, etc...

@Cutiebeauty
Boy = rehearsals
Man = on stage opening night

Accountability.

Probably doesn't change much over time.

@skado what if boys are rehearsing bad behavior and repeat these behaviors later in life... Are they still considered men?

@Cutiebeauty
Well it’s probably good for them to be considered men so they can be held accountable as men, but of course lots of men still behave childishly and that behavior should be called what it is.

A good man keeps "mama" happy. A good man can cry for others as well as himself. A good man is kind to animals & children. Men can now cry in public. Senator Muskie would approve. Women can now develop muscles & pursue a career in boxing. Men can now wear pink. Men & women can now wear tattoos without appearing as miscreants. Men can have long hair. Women can shave their heads. Women can be approved for credit without a man's signature. Men can be awarded custody of the children. Men can marry another man. Women can marry another woman. Men can now be homemakers as women can now be mechanics.

We each have a role to play in this life and that role changes based on circumstance and environment. There are characteristics and truths that are universal regardless of sex. So in my mind I'm wondering if you are asking about character (honesty, respect, etc.) or if your question is related to a role (i.e. mother and father).

I'm asking about the character ... When does a boy become a man.... When does a girl become a woman.....what makes a man a man... Certainly it's not just age?

@Cutiebeauty IMO. Short answer: Responsibility.

There is more than one way to be either, and about time!

My father is the true definition of a man.
My mother is the true definition of a woman.

Social media has unearthed everything that wasn't the 'norm' back in the days. I honestly don't know who a man or a woman is anymore. I know that I'm attracted to masculine men. A man who can wear a suit and tie, but can also get down and dirty fixing things around the house, knows how to change the oil on a car, etc.

I'm steadfast in appreciating being a woman. Although, I have a bit of a tomboy streak in me, but I'm feminine enough to be a lady away from work. And I'm 1000% heterosexual!

I grew up in a different dynamic household. Both of my parents worked full-time jobs. When they got home, my mom would take me and my sister to cook, clean and do house chores; while my father would take my brothers up "the hill" of our ranch or to do projects around the house, cut grass, fix cars, lawnmowers, tractor, anything that needed fixing, he'd attend to the farm animals, bail hay, tractor trips up "the hill," and build things (maybe that's where I get my engineering abilities.)

I was such a tomboy and a daddy's girl. My sister was more of a girlie-girl.

Despite my differences with my parents, I love them and appreciate all they did (and tried to do) for my brothers, sister, and I.

Attitude and behavior at one time was a function of reproducing

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 21, 2019

everyone has loads of vertuel friends and know real ones. there is a complete lack of body language and everyone is outspoken vertuelly.

I think in many cases but unfortunately not all, we are better informed and more conscious of not falling into stereotype gender roles. I know growing up, my mother did not work but did everything at home, cooking, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping etc while my dad just "worked".
Now I think there is a lot more sharing. Firstly many more women work and secondly men are more self-sufficient. For instance, I can clean, cook, iron etc. while at the same time, I can do construction, fix a car, weld etc. while my dad cannot really fend for himself at home but his is a great mechanic and DIY guy. so I think that has changed.

Not just self sufficient, but it is becoming ok for them to be full time caregivers for their children if they can and so choose. I think that is the coolest!

@DoctoralZombie Yes absolutely.

Nothing has changed. Just thanks to the internet we see things unfold faster.

Lots has changed, much hasn't unfortunately..were to start is the problem..

True self-actualization is possible for women now. It does not seem to have been so in my mother's generation and before.

I think a real man... is strong in character, has an appreciation for different skills, cultures, is not bigoted, doesn’t assume roles in a relationship. He’s open to discussion, resolution without bias. He has a soul, cares for the planet, the environment - and practices conservation. He cares and respects his fellow man (“man” means all people, all cultures, all identities.)

Testosterone levels?

That explains being male / female.... Not man / woman....

@Cutiebeauty but ... but ... but .. isn’t .....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:270672
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.