Agnostic.com

16 4

How many of you find it is difficult being a non believer in a judeo christian nation? do you ever feel like the odd man out? I am curious.

Specman 6 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know if I came out to my boss I most certainly would be descriminated against. It sucks being a rational, reasoning being in an unreasonable environment.

Its not really difficult but more like isolated in a way where its something you don't just bring up in an every day conversation with just anybody. Perhaps I am generalizing here but I think there are a lot of non theists/non religious folk that are closeted so to speak where they can't just open up about their beliefs. If someone asks me or if it does come up, I tell them but kinda like politics, once you open that can worms, hard telling what the outcome will be.

Oh yes. Fortunately several of my best friends are atheist but none of us speak up, most of the time, as we are surrounded by churches and followers. Most upsetting is that they just assume you believe in god and have no second thoughts about asking you to pray for one thing or another or attend a religious event. I live in a conservative community that overwhelmingly supported Trump and has a church on every corner. It is complicated as the education level of the community is far above the norm. I don’t get it!

the majority around here at least question the holy men if not down right disown them [toronto]

Where is that oasis?

I definitely feel the odd one out as well as alone. I’ve actually have considered moving to be around like minded people.

Come down to Southern California, certainly a lot of agnostics down here (their god is money!) and quite a few atheists. It must be one of the more atheist places in the USA. Writing this has just made me think of a post! Thanks!

I have never found any difficulty telling others what my philosophical position is. If they had any problem with it then I would happily debate their position without compromising my requirement for evidence, and more evidence.

People often have things to say when they find out I'm an atheist. I try to avoid the subject at work, but my coworkers often notice my tattoo.

Living as I do in Alberta bible belt I do feel that way at times; I have found that as I get older I no longer seek acceptance of people I don't already know. I have lots of friends both non-believers and believes so, I don't need new ones who don't accept that I am an atheist. This is still Canada where asking someone's religion is consider to be rude,so, as Hellbent stated there really is only that 1% of rude christians.

Depends on the people I'm around. I try to keep the company of those whose minds are open enough, not to be threatened by other ways of thinking.

I'm kind of used to be the "different" one. It's ok.

No, I live in England, an athiest country.

I always thought England was mostly Protestants and Catholics. Had no idea it was an atheist country.

people identify with Christianity, consider that they live within a Christian society. But mostly, in my experience, don't believe in a god or attend any sort of religeous meetings. I also believe that there is still a little bit of lingering fear about comming out as athiest. Amoung my fairly diverse group of friends I am hard pressed to think of anyone who has any religeous belief.

I'm vegan and atheist, both occurring at the same time as many truths became obvious to me, so it took me quite a while to get used to these changes in my life and there are times with friends when I can be the butt of some jokes as I am seen as being negative about life. I think it is also because I used to quite the social animal which people liked, so my becoming aware of reality is hard for others to understand or appreciate. Now, I'm happy in my own skin and for me that is what matters.

Same! While I do feel like the quirky outsider most of the time (I live in the baptist belt), I have learned to love my quirks and uniqueness.

I always feel like I am the odd man out. I have even had certain Christians try to get me fired by saying that I was attacking their beliefs in the workplace (I don't talk to anyone about being an atheist, much less attack their beliefs). I find it depressing at times to feel like I am the only person who can see but surrounded by the blind. That is why I am happy I found this site.

I feel the same as you - happy I found this site. Comforting to see there are other like minded people in the world.

I have been an atheist/evidentialist/rationalist far too long to feel any discomfort knowing I am a moderately sane man in a roomful of dingalings.

Seriously, no. I rather enjoy being the 'odd man out'.

No! I am quite comfortable in my own skin believing what I believe.

Yes, it feels very confusing when you know you're correct about how life works, and that so many others believe in fairy tales despite so much evidence against it. I'd still rather be a minority in the right, than be a majority in the wrong. Guess that's why we're all here.

I've pretty much always felt that way. The only thing I really find difficult is ignoring all the god bless you's and Merry Christmas's. I should say "May the force be with you" and "Happy Hanukku". Recently, some lady said god bless you to me twice. I simply told her I ignored you just fine the first time. Her stunned look was priceless.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2716
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.