Agnostic.com

12 2

Is belief in a God the ultimate form of narcissism?

Is believing in a God that 'created' everything, a God with human characteristics, the ultimate form of narcissism? A way of making the completely unknowable 'knowable', making the incomprehensible 'comprehensible' by projecting human characteristics and experience onto that concept? Is merely believing in 'creation' a totally human centred concept as we are part of that 'creation' and cannot conceive how anything can exist other than through our limited means of observation and perception of how things are 'created'?

DavidTVP 3 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would rather use the term “egocentrism” because narcissism does have many more implications beyond believing that we were created in god’s image, or, what really happened, that we created god in our image. Narcissism in clinical terms has many more negative and damaging characteristics.

I love your question and your explanation. With the lack of science, I'm afraid that is how people are able to live everyday. They need religion because they can't fathom the unknown.

I find it incredibly ironic that believers accuse atheists of being self-centered and selfish, when it is just the opposite. We do not believe that the universe was created with us in mind; we accept that we are simply one of the billions of possible outcomes in a beautiful, fantastic, immense, random universe. This to me is more amazing than thinking that we were created by some needy being to worship and love it--or else! And, when we do good, it is for its own sake and not because we seek some reward or fear some punishment.

Agreed. I remember as a child feeling so comforted looking up at the night sky and the stars and realizing I'm so not important in the grand scheme of things. Just a speck of dust and thus felt good to me. Adults were horrified and couldn't understand.

Well, it certainly means you think that the universe revolve around humanity,
and a lazy way to understand how things work...
but i don't think it's innate like real narcissism, it's learned

I also think narcissist is too strong of a word for what you meant, it's an extreme word....
selfish might be a softer word

I get what you mean, i think when they invented religion, they did it because they we're clueless,

I think belief in god is the ultimate form of ignorance

Thanks everyone.

Whether it is a form of narcissism or not is debatable, but it is certainly a form of wilful self deception.

I think it's largely egocentric, at least for many, but not necessarily narcissistic. What I find ironic is that theists often accuse atheists of being arrogant or conceited or thinking humans are the center of the universe, when in fact that's what theists believe (i.e., the universe being created for human life, the deity caring about humans, a personal relationship with the all-powerful God, etc.).

Maybe yes in modern times. Now that we have public education, one can be as powerful as a lord, priest or the rich. It allows an individual to be in a particular class of narcissism..

Narcissism - perhaps.
Escapism - some, for sure.
Fantasy - yeah.
Avoidance in reality - uh-huh.
Excuse for the 'ole "thoughts and prayers", instead of actually doing something - yup !

No. It is simply a form of indoctrination offering both a carat -- life after death and heaven -- and a stick -- hell -- to enforce the dogma.

Interesting question. Some people believe that when you pray to a god you are really praying to yourself and therefor empowering yourself through your own actions. This would mean that your god is ultimately you, just a part of you that you intentionally separate. So yes maybe it is the ultimately form of narcissism since when you worship god, you are really worship yourself.

Believing that he is the 'only god' and listens to you personally to give a shit about your daily life, while millions of others are praying to the wrong gods and dying of starvation, etc., is absolutely an ego centered and narcissistic way to live your life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2719
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.