Agnostic.com

5 1

QUESTION None of This Really Happened | And no, this time I’m not talking politics, although that does increasingly concern me. No, this time I’m talking about what people believe about stories we find in the Bible.

It’s difficult to know where to begin when talking to people who live in an alternate reality. In order to have a rational conversation about anything, there has to be a minimal set of common facts to which you can appeal. But what if you can’t even agree on what the facts are in the first place?
When I first started writing and speaking to groups about my departure from the faith, I spent the bulk of my time trying to make still-believers realize how dehumanizing and insulting are the ways in which they view those of us who left. I talked about the many ways Christians misunderstand us, putting words into our mouths and motives into our hearts that we are not willing to own.

But these are all highly subjective discussions and, while they serve a useful social purpose, they carefully avoid any offense of the believer’s sensitive faith. A noble restraint on my part, I suppose, demonstrating a respect for differences of belief that I submit isn’t ordinarily reciprocated.

But the fact of the matter is that Christians accept certain things as true that are demonstrably false, and it does no one any good to tiptoe around these beliefs as if they are sacrosanct merely because people take the discussion so personally.

And I’m not talking about things we cannot entirely disprove like miracles, or the afterlife, or the power of prayer. We could argue about these things until we are blue in the face, and in the end very few people would ever change their minds. The church has had two thousand years to develop excuses for why these things fail to materialize (they usually involve faulting the believer rather than the beliefs themselves).

No, I’m talking about clearly demonstrable historical facts—facts for which we can apply reliable tools of scientific inquiry in order to ascertain what is real and what is not, what is fact and what is fiction. For today, I will zero in on one particular portion of the Bible because it is so unarguably false that I no longer want to have any of these discussions until the other party is willing to spend some time wrestling with it…

Dougy 7 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What is not clear to me is why Anglo-Saxons, Britons, Celts etc. accept stories from Hasidic Jews, a group of people they have nothing in common with and who seem exotic and strange. Why not believe in the Norse mythology or the Celtic world?

Facts can be very scary just look at trump. When people are overwhelmed by facts they seem to turn to the illogical as the explanation . This just makes matters worse. This is very evident when sickness is involved and the mass's turn to prayers which do not produce any desired results . If by some medical treatment they achieve the desired cure they attest that it was all the prayers that made the cure.

Just be concerned about doing your part to counter these fanatics and keep up the pressure to conform with the Constitution and the separation of the church and state. Living by the bible would drive any sane person nuts or be imprisoned.

I don't get it.
Why do you care?
It's their business if they want to believe a lie..until they form a voting block that negatively affects us all, that is. Then just VOTE them out of the way, since they voted for Trump out of racism, according to studies.

Trump won because of racial resentment [vox.com]

The same people that believe Trump's lies overall, are the ones that have invisible friends and enemies, believe that the earth stopped spinning from 1,000 mph and just as quickly started up again, believe in talking snakes and donkeys and that zombies walked the streets of Jerusalem. If your gullible, your gullible. In that regard religion and politics do go together.

gearl Level 8 Feb 22, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27409
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.