Agnostic.com

22 2

I find it odd that there aren't a bunch of religious people on here trying to convert us to Christianity (or whatever religion they follow)

LeftyWright 5 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not odd to me, and I'll tell you why.

First, I am on record as saying that I think this site should be exclusively for nonbelievers. Other places religionists and nonbelievers can get it on, including every opportunity in the real world, but not here, if it were up to me. It isn't, and I respect the site admin right to run it as they wish.

Why so few evangelisers? Well, truth is in the real world, like here, the last thing they want is to do battle with committed nonbelievers. People who know history, philosophy, science, Christian history, Christology, and many other areas, and look believers in the eye, literally or figuratively, are the LAST thing religionists want. They do not like or want to be challenged. They want soft targets, people who may be vulnerable to their virus, where they can sting, make their mark, rope them in. They want people who will just believe them. Ever answered the door to evangees and told them you're a committed atheist? They are gone, ASA f'n P. If they do engage, it's largely perfunctorily, and then goodbye. We are not the market they're after. The damaged, the young, the gullible, the vulnerable, the intellectually unchallenging...that's their market.

No, there haven't been many believers here, certainly not mainstream dogmatic religious types. I would very surprised if that changed. There are a few New Age types here, but they bang to a different drum. With them, the problem is to pin them down to anything specific. And they know better than to overtly preach.

Give them time. They're probably just not aware of this place yet.

With anyone else, I'd suggest that maybe they realized that the whole online debating thing is a dead end. But Christians aren't self-aware enough.

Yeah, it's like the peace and quiet after banging your head against a wall all your life.

By the way, there are a few alt-right people here who sometimes troll people, but you can just block them.

Pretty sure they would be way in over their heads beings many of us can dance circles around their logic with our intellect and own logic.

Not 100% sure about that one. I always get reminded of the quote that arguing with a theist is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are they're just going to shit on the board and strut around like they won anyways.
It my experience it holds true. I've been going back and forth with one on facebook for the last 3 days in a debate group and he finally tells me that he's not there to debate.

@JohnnyMiller you raise a valid point.

Too much work! We are an ornery bunch and use logic and all that science stuff. Maybe they are scared to come her and not be able to leave again. Just saying!

Same reason Bible thumpers on YouTube rarely leave their comments section open. The few who do soon find themselves in Way over their heads.

MarqG Level 5 Feb 22, 2018

It's because in the world of agnostic.com, the administrators are all-powerful.

They wouldn't last long,I'm not religious ,I am however a believer in a god,I'm not trying to convert anyone,just give a few some pause for thought now and again on the way...keeps them on their toes.

Yes I do,...as the saying goes to make an omlette you have to break a few eggs.

Besides there will be life on some there are just so many planets,

@VinceRichardson If the Christian god existed, couldn't he make an omelet without breaking any eggs?

Well I don't beleive in the christian god and I don't pretend I understand why the whole universe was made or what the possible alternative were for creating life,more likley there weren't any .So this is it and we are here.

So, who is up for the new bible reading group?

I thought about saying that myself, LOL!

@LeftyWright We'll all sit around and listen to Hitche, fry and Uzzard on YouTube!

Most people in the modern world have respect for others choices, there is a relatively small number who feel need to force their opions and choice on others in the world despite what you get shown.

You are quite right, yes we are very lucky. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 22, 2018

I'm a member at TheThingingAtheist.com/forum and believers of all kinds come there, girded for battle. So unless believers are actively denied membership here, I don't really get their absence, either.

TTA does, admittedly, tend to get the real nut-cases in greater numbers than, say, the Atheism & Agnosticism forum on city-data. That's a sub-forum, along with Christianity, under Religion & Spirituality, so the presence of believers on city-data is inherent and incidental.

Maybe agnostic.com is less well known, and "agnostic" seems less a target than "atheist. TTA's forums are also secondary to Seth Andrews as a personality / speaker / author on the topic of atheism, and that probably acts as flypaper for believers too.

They're kinda cute, the way they show up with what they think is a ground-breaking new "gotcha" argument, then immediately go down in flames, then, often as not, don't even recognize that they've had the rug pulled out from under them.

As I've said elsewhere, I like a quiet place like this that isn't all about debating believers, there are plenty of places to get me some of that if I'm in the mood.

What you have described there about this TTA forum is exactly what I wouldn't want to see here - as you say, turning up girded for battle. If this site descended into that I'd probably leave. Seriously. Running into religious believers is easy, real world and Internet. Surely it's possible for one place in cyberspace where nonbelievers of various kinds can intersect without dealing with believers peddling the same of crap we've heard hundreds of times.

Heaven Forbid!!

I agree in principle with you but maybe it’s no harm to have another persons input that might give us food for thought. Overall I think the more input we have the better we all can be when we make decisions, just like anything in life. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 23, 2018

Perhaps y feel outnumbered here ?

Pretty nice being free from that here.

I've only been on this site for a short time, and I've met a couple of christians here. So far, the ones I have met have just been curious. If we start getting a bunch of "Follow Me Or Burn In Hell" types, simply report them and let admin take care of the problem. Till then I'm going to enjoy meeting all the interesting people here. Maybe we can even disillusion a few religious Johnnys and Janes along the way.

If any do show up, I doubt they'd last long.
They'd be overwhelmed by the common sense and factual refutations of whatever bullshit they might try to proffer.
Too many people here just don't have the inclination to tolerate proselytizing. Nor should they.

As has been mentioned, this is a relatively new site and it's possible we just haven't been "discovered" yet, but they are advertising heavily on Facebook. That newness could be a factor. Also, I belong to a number of Atheist FB groups and religious trolls are constantly posting crap there just to piss people off. A group on FB is not the same as a whole site dedicated to Nonbelievers, so there could be a bit of a fear factor. In here, they are the stranger in a strange land.

This site just started last November... give them time. There are a few Xians here, though they seem to leave well enough alone - They're good examples of how cognitive dissonance can withstand even the best logic and reason.

On this occasion Hominid I hope you are mistaken and they, believers, find this kitchen too hot to be in.

The people on this site are ruthlessly cruel and would quickly run off anyone who thought differently than them. 🙂

marga Level 7 Feb 22, 2018

It is true that religious believers when confronted by confident direct nonbelievers retreat mightily quick.

All hail jigglypoof!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27450
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.