Agnostic.com

6 2

LINK Why Can’t the World’s Greatest Minds Solve the Mystery of Consciousness? - The Guardian - Pocket

In my opinion, Daniel C. Dennett is the closest to explaining this.

Tomfoolery33 9 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"If you are intelligent and reasonable you cannot be the product of a mechanical and meaningless universe. Figs do not grow on thistles. Grapes do not grow on thorns, and therefore you as an expression of the universe, as an aperture through which the universe is observing itself, cannot be a mere fluke. Because if this world peoples as an apple tree apples then the universe itself, the energy underlying everything, what it's all about, the ground of being, must be intelligent.

Now, when you come to that conclusion you must be very careful, because you may make an unwarranted jump. Namely, the jump to the conclusion that that intelligence, that marvelous designing power which produces all this, is the biblical God. Be careful."

Alan Watts

Love Alan Watts.

@tnorman1236 yep, im a big fan, as well!

It's the eye looking for itself. Perhaps someday a more objective source, superior AI perhaps, will solve the riddle of consciousness.

??? consciousness is an activity in which the mind participates. it is the process by which the mind constantly recreates itself. this activity involves the absorption the assessment translation xcetera of data or a data condition. this data is used to construct thoughts and ideas which in turn are are designed to improve the minds capability to do what it does. to make choices. ??? only a process. held aloft by an architecture under constant revision. not the arrangements, but the arranging. who knows...but kinda fun to wonder about.

the Royal Institute.

I predict myself therefore I am. Love it! That would make Descartes proud. Actually, in French "penser" means to think or to doubt, as the French perspective conceives of thinking about an issue to involve some doubt about something. To predict also involves doubt as prediction is never certain.

Why the "mystery". I am conscious, I accept that and have no problem with it.

The "mystery" is in explaining how it comes about.

@tnorman1236 "I am that I am." If it was good enough for Yahweh, it's good enough for me.

Because it's like a ruler trying to measure itself.

Orbit Level 7 Jan 27, 2019

A ruler already is the measure of itself.

@tnorman1236 Only to the outside observer. It's an analogy, it's not perfect, but it's an analogy. We are brains trying to understand, with thought, where thought comes from: this limits us.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:275192
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.