Agnostic.com

4 4

QUESTION If You Are Wondering What That Means, This List is For You

Being a little bit older and not hip, I often find myself turning to Google when somebody defines their gender, sex or sexuality with a term I have never heard.

I decided to see if there was a list -- and of course, it's the Internet and it's Google, so here it is! Just about every definition I've heard in the last couple of years is here. Have a gander -- you might see some you've never heard of either!

Comprehensive* List of LGBTQ+ Vocabulary Definitions

BlueWave 8 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is nice to have this list, incomplete or flawed, it's a beginning. Ty for posting, it's saved to my desktop.

I don't seem to have too many prejudices regarding gender roles/actions other than safety and consentuality (if that's a word).

Naturally I have my own preferences. (Don't ask now)

There's so much wrong with that list, I don't even know where to start. At least it only has a couple of pseudo-sexualities in it, and 'Sapiosexual' is thankfully absent.

If you have a better list that is not simply your own opinion, please do feel free to post it so you can correct all the wrong in it.

This list is simply a collation of other people's opinions and understandings. Why are theirs valid when mine are not?

To be fair, most of what's in there, I would agree with. But the understanding of 'transgender' is completely wrong, and probably written by what's known in trans circles as 'transmedicalists' (the less forgiving call them 'truscum'.) These are people who believe you can't be legitimately trans unless you suffer from gender dysphoria. Preferably severely enough to seek out medical intervention. They basically want to appropriate 'transgender' to mean 'transsexual' to the exclusion of anyone who is TG but not TS. They happily misgender and deadname people who they don't consider trans (enough) totally disrespecting their sincerely held identities. Ironically, they're usually the first to complain if someone disrespects their sincerely held identity, by telling them that they'll always be a man because they were born with a penis. Transmedicalists draw a line in the sand, ostensibly around dysphoria but it always boils down to (at least the desire for) surgery. They see wearing dresses or using women's toilets as rights that they earn by going under the knife, and ones that should be denied to someone who isn't at least planning on going down that route. They routinely side with the cisgender people who want to stop 'those weirdo men in dresses' doing those things.

So let's start with...

transgender – adj. : A person who lives as a member of a gender other than that assigned at birth based on anatomical sex.

This is utter nonsense. Gender is a matter of identity. You sit and stare at your navel for a few years, and whatever answer you come up with is the right one. If you sincerely identify as transgender, then you are transgender. It's as simple as that. Those I know who live in the role full time, typically describe themselves as transsexual, and are usually at least on hormone therapy, often with plans for top or bottom surgery (if they haven't already had them.) But hey, it's an adjective, not a noun. At least they got that right.

transvestite – noun : a person who dresses as the binary opposite gender expression (“cross-dresses&rdquo😉 for any one of many reasons, including relaxation, fun, and sexual gratification (often called a “cross-dresser,” and should not be confused with transsexual).

Once again, pigeonholing everyone into the neat little binary, especially after dictating that anyone genuinely transgender is expected to live in the role full time. Some people don't distinguish between transvestite and crossdresser. I'm inclined to see the latter as someone who just enjoys wearing the clothes, while retaining their cisgender identity. The former has a transgender identity, which manifests in the clothes that they sometimes choose to wear, thus trans(gender)vestite. A crossdresser puts on a pair of tights and is still Bob. A transvestite does it to become Barbara.

Pseudo-sexualities also grind my gears. To be fair, even though the terms themselves are 'whateversexual', the article doesn't describe them as actual sexualities. Everyone is one of asexual, bisexual (also pansexual) heterosexual or homosexual. They are the only four possible permutations of same and other sex interest. What seems to happen is that bisexual people come along, decide that SEX is irrelevant to SEXuality, and start inventing new ones, based on what homosexual or heterosexual people would consider mere preferences and standards. Gender identity and presentation aren't relevant to sexuality. They are preferences overlaid onto being asexual, bi/pansexual, heterosexual or homosexual, just like fancying tall blondes with long legs and big breasts is.

One of these days, I fully expect to hear someone declare themselves tallblondeswithlonglegsandbigbreastssexual.

They forgot ammosexual

Didn't help. Someone here used the term, tornado twister or turner or something like that and I Google it and still have no idea what that means.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27638
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.