Agnostic.com

6 2

Where is the most secular / agnostic / atheist place in the USA?

So in replying to a recent question, I commented how living in Southern California is pretty good for atheists as we do have a few Meetup groups to chose from, if you are in LA they have a Sunday Assembly that meets once a month, and there are plenty of Unitarian churches around if you need that sort of thing. So it is pretty cosmopolitan here.

I was wondering where others thought are the best places for atheists in the USA and why?

Hugene2002 7 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I personally think it's Seattle as I live here and know very few Christians. Also barely anybody in my social circle talks about their religious lives. I just went to Public Religion Research Institute's (PRRI) website and used their American Values Atlas to search for statistics and here are my findings:

Top Ten Least Religious Cities (2016 Data)

1. Seattle (40%--percentage of religiously unaffiliated residents)
  2. Portland (39%)
  3. San Francisco (37%)
  4. Denver (33%)
  5. Boston (29%) tied
  6. Las Vegas (29%) tied
  7. Columbus (28%) tied
  8. Washington DC (28%) tied
  9. Los Angeles (27%)
  10. Indianapolis (26%)

Top Ten Least Religious States (2016 Data)

1. Vermont (41%)
  2. Oregon (36%)
  3. Washington (35%)
  4. Hawaii (34%)
  5. Colorado (33%) tied
  6. New Hampshire (33%) tied
  7. Alaska (31%) tied
  8. Maine (31%) tied
  9. Montana (30%)
  10. Nevada (29%)

PRRI has some very useful data and their American Value Atlas is an amazing interactive online map. To see the full sets of data:

<a href="http://ava.prri.org/#religious/2016/States/religion/16" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" class="forumlink">[ava.prri.org]

Check "Religious Affiliation" and select "Religious Tradition" and you can see the breakdowns of religious (by religion) and non-religious residents by state and city.

Great info. Thanks. Surprised to see Los Angeles on the top list but not California on the list of States.

There is a correlation between education and rejection of religion. I am from Ann Arbor, MI and we always rank as one of the most educated cities. And like Portland, extremely liberal. I would bet that we have a relatively high proportion of anti-theists.

Burckley

If you are talking cities, then Portland Oregon. They have, or at least admit to, the least amount of church attendance of any major city in the U.S.

I imagine away from people out in the middle of the wilderness would be the actual most atheist place in the U.S.

I'm a bit of a wilderness junkie, and live adjacent to the Santa Fe National Forest in a very sparsely populated county. There are enough open minded people out here, but like most other national parks and wilderness areas I've visited, the surrounding community here is very rural. I do find that many people who visit the wilderness areas are very open minded and willing to have reasonable discussions on many topics.

I can only say for sure that it is NOT where I live 😟.

California

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.