Agnostic.com

11 3

What gives life meaning to you?

Or put another way...What gives you meaning in life?

SkeptikSeeker 5 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The answer to the question of what is the meaning of life is 42 (Douglas Adams The Hitch hiker's Guide To The Galaxy). I don't need something to give me a meaning. I am living to the best way I know how. It's mostly good for me and I have fun most of the time. When it's not fun or the way I like it, I get through . I am at an age that when a possible once in a lifetime opportunity presents itself, I take it. So later I won't have to say that I wish I would have.
Have fun.

Sitting under the stars trying to figure it all out

We have that ability to assign value to things that other people deemed trash and the other way around too... but never devalue your staying here in this plane. You got so much to experience... offer, give and receive. Is Human Experience with all the Pain and all the Joy that makes it worthwhile. Those you love... and those that love you... there is always something out there for us.

Well, the alternative's not a great bet

Currently just waking up I guess and panic driven anxiety has trapped me indoors which is slowly developing into an acute agoraphobia. So guess you can say I fear no God but I do my own thoughts

That doesnt sound like a good thing.

@SkeptikSeeker it is and very destructive mentally about the most I can do anymore is learn and that's not a good thing when it comes down to everything going on around us from the politics to our environment and what politics are doing to our environment and as a former employee of the EPA it just adds more fear to what can get worse but the panic attacks are just pretty much an unmanageable psychiatric issue that has taking its course but luckily I got the digital world but you are absolutely right it's not a good thing

The best book I have read on this question is FLOW The Psychology of Optimal Experience
by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
THis was the best reading I ever had circling this subject.

Does life have to have 'meaning'? There's a great Kurt Vonnegut quote I love "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you different".

Gary Level 4 Nov 8, 2017

Meaning in life: a difficult question to answer. I personally don't have a mission in life other than to make art. I have kids and I definitely feel responsible for them, bringing them up in a way so they look at people rather than concentrating only on themselves, which seems a lot easier said than done. I enjoy everyday that I am here knowing someday that my time will end. I don't buy into the idea that my life is meaningful in the extended sense of the word, at least not any more meaningful than the life of a squirrel, mouse, or bug.

Why does life have to have Meaning? I live my life as if every moment was my last and take joy in everything I do, so it is not a question I even bother asking myself. My advice to you is stop looking for meaning and start living instead.

I have my own version of a meaningful life, thank you. I wss simply asking what brings meaning to others out of curiosity and in the spirit of sharing.

You're welcome. In the spirit of sharing I explain that I do not seek meaning to life rather I live it instead. @SkeptikSeeker

Madalyn Murray O'Hair was asked what gives life meaning and she said, "Well, there is fucking and eating." In other words, life is worth living for the sake of experiencing life. Beyond that we have art, music, nature, learning, and we have relationships with each other, which is what really matters. Even the worst prisoner suffers in isolation. It is that interaction, that sharing of life experiences that make life complete.

Lol I hadnt heard of her myself until recently. I loved learning about her viewpoint! Her tell it like it is attitude wss refreshing.

And I couldnt agree more.

I knew her and her family and they were special people.

Making connections to things, people and places I've been gives my life meaning and my dog gives my life meaning 🙂

SamL Level 7 Nov 3, 2017

Those are lifes sweet rewards right there...yes!

I've got my pup, Arthur by my side so I feel the love.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2770
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.