Agnostic.com

5 1

What do you suggest for lifting help for a full grown man?

My dad had a stroke. He's scheduled to come home from the rehab center in two weeks but my mom is stressing out because she can't help him stand up by herself and so far he's been unable to get himself up. We're getting a lift recliner but my mom is worried about him using the bathroom. Any of you who have had to take care of disabled family members, what did you use for lift help?

Edited to add: My parents have Medicare. They will have help coming in once a day in the mornings but Mom will still need solutions to lift him for when they aren't there. Plus I'm sure the helper will be grateful if they don't have to do all the lifting themselves. Dad can walk a little but can't stand up by himself.

UpsideDownAgain 7 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

a "patient lift" could be in order. just makes everyone safer. less likey to strain something....

That's what I'm thinking. I actually found one used in my area for not too bad a price. We're looking at that, first and foremost.

@Meili just go slow. they are awful handy. more secure for everyone.

I got one of these when my Dad had a knee replacement at 87 years old.
[performancehealth.com]

That's a good idea.

They make a large belt that helps you assist someone in getting upright-- Home health workers have to train to use it-
best wishes!

Please do not lift him yourselves. Sorry to hear about Dad's stroke. I have a link here to something called a 'sara stand' These are idea as they encourage independence and they help someone manage themselves. This is a British site but there are US versions, these are covered under the NHS so the cost may be covered by insurance.
[completecareshop.co.uk]
Just so you know my credentials, I am moving and handling lead for the school of nursing, so this info is the most up to date.

He stays comfy in the lift recliner...it lifts him up so he can grab his very close by walker.
I had a stroke once...best wishes to you all

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:278175
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.