Agnostic.com

13 4

You always hear about people saying a person can actually die from a Broken Heart. What do you all think? Is it possible to love someone SO MUCH that if they die, or leave you, you can actually die of a broken heart?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know I was very close to suicide right after my divorce. Not the same thing, I know. I know I fell back on some very unhealthy habits at the same time. Didn't go out of my way to survive, which can lead to bad things.

Part of you that was a we is gone. It hurts, it can be traumatic. You can want to die. Sometimes that is enough.

The trick is to find your trick. When you get into those moments when just ending the pain seems easier or better you need to have a trick to pop you back into reality. Now, the bad news is if you get like this you will get a lot of practice at the trick. I found mine, and it became a reflex. I still get sad and lonely and regretful and all the rest of it, but I know I'll have to just keep going. Because every time I get to the end of my rope I have my little mental trick.

Hi, Daniella.

Get into Manhattan, much?

MIchael

I think that after a long relationship ends, someone may give up on living. Especially if they are religious, and 'want to be with' the other person.

Ori89 Level 4 Feb 24, 2018

This is a really interesting article about how loneliness can be just as lethal as smoking.

[forbes.com]

Johnny Cash died not too long after his wife June died.

Took me ten years to recover , after the love of my life . Not likely to happen again .

If your heart ever does actually break you will die. I think what they are referring to is that love has broken their spirit. The lust for life is gone. Your mind is no longer willing to fight back the pain. Official cause of death: loneliness

Too many surviving spouses die too soon after the death of their beloved for me to believe it is coincidence.

I think it's possible... But not very healthy.

Although I wouldn't think so, I'm always aware that our mind is our greatest power, and "mind over matter" has some validity for me.

marga Level 7 Feb 23, 2018

Could be possible ???

In and of itself, I would say no. I believe that a broken heart can intensify conditions that could kill you that normally wouldn't by weakening your mind and body.

I've never heard of it. I have had my heart broken a few times from loved ones dying and from relationships gone bad, but I'm still alive.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28016
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.