Agnostic.com

6 8

Fun Fact: The prayer position actually originated as a submissive slave stance, offering one's hands to be shackled. Today it is used as a slave stance offering one's mind to be shackled.

Hugene2002 7 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like this. I'll be using it along with the origin of Amen at the end of the prayer. In the ten commandments, they say not to put any other god before god, but they were afraid not mention Amen a very powerful Egyptian god, so they'd say his name at the end of a prayer, so every prayer that ends with "Amen" invokes a pagan god, and every time "Amen is shouted in praise, they are inadvertently putting another god before the god they worship, because they don't know the origins of the word.

Oooooo I hadn't heard that about 'Amen' before. Same as you I like building an arsenal of knowledge to hit the religious with, as I tend to believe ignorance is the root of all evil, not money as the saying goes. Thanks for sharing.

Here's another fun fact: My brother-in-law and my late wife are from Iran. When they were kids they would sneak into the mosques and head-butt the praying men (she did this to her brother when he was visiting us and in another room in prayer - they both had a laugh and mentioned this was often practiced by the kids in their country).

Pie in the sky bye n' bye, was a potent sales pitch to those without hope in this life, so the tradition became locked in stone.

Indeed, Islam literally means "submission". It's a scary concept. But in the case of Christianity, perhaps it makes sense. After all, slaves were the ones most targeted by this new cult, because they were downtrodden and desperate; no matter how nonsensical an all-loving god appears to be, it'll appeal to the huddled masses.

I never knew that. It makes sense.

BD66 Level 8 Nov 4, 2017

Ya, I've heard this before. Yet, devout religious people see it as an act of worship to their gawd, who then looks down on them with favour. This whole submission things is scary... A psychologist once told me that most born againers come from abusive parents, so this is modelled in how they see most authority figures.

Now most of what's going on in a'Merika makes sense. How sad.

Remember the Jesus freaks of the '60's? Virtually all of them were ex-druggies exchanging one opiate for another.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2806
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.