Agnostic.com

8 2

LINK Down Syndrome Is Nearly Eliminated In Iceland, But Is It Ethical?

This is a good thing. This is science and reason being used for the betterment of society as a whole.

"Down syndrome is disappearing in Iceland, but not because of a medical breakthrough or health trends for pregnant women. Only one or two babies are born each year with Down syndrome because the others are terminated.

In Iceland, about 85% of women choose to do prenatal testing, which can show Down syndrome and other genetic conditions in the first trimester. The same tests are available in the United States, but only about two thirds of women terminate the pregnancy, as opposed to nearly 100% in Iceland. "

SkotlandSkye 8 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People need the option of choosing what they can handle. Whether it’s a child in the first place, or a child with disabilities. We all know our limits and that needs to be protected by law.

Tough decision. If I were a woman facing this situation I'd probably opt to terminate. But, I'm not, so it's sorta easy for me to say.

That's such a contrast to here.

Iceland is on the top 10 atheist populations in the world

With my second child, I was AMA(advanced maternal age). The recommended quad screen returned positive. I called a neonatologist and scheduled an amniocentesis immediately. After discussion with the doctor, he knew my decision was if the amnio was positive, we would arrange to terminate the pregnancy.
Fortunately it was negative and my son is amazing... but I wouldn’t imagine bringing a child with lifelong disabilities into the world when I was 37 years old. The thoughts of what becomes of him after I’m gone would drive me crazy.

As long as no one is forced to terminate against their will, I believe it is the enlightened thing to do. Why would anyone wish to bring a child who has any medical condition into the world when they could prevent it? I cannot understand any mother knowingly giving birth to a Down Syndrome baby, or one with any other serious deformity or condition, when by terminating and then trying for another pregnancy they could have a child with no medical problems. If we take the God dimension out of procreation, the minds of women (and their partners) would be much clearer that it is every child’s birthright to be born without preventable conditions.

@EllieUnique High chance that they weren’t religious...none of the Scandinavian countries have high church attendance. More atheists there than in other parts of the world.

@EllieUnique I thought we were talking about Iceland here. That was where this article was referring to.

People with Trisomy 21, have the right to a full life in the same way as everyone else, however they are more likely to experience suffering with cardiac and respiratory problems, the males are virtually all sterile, around 94% develop altzhiemers and they live shorter lives. Choice must be respected, trisomy 21 is not heredity so it is not as though terminations will produce less children with this variation, over time. I respect their choice and I so glad it was never mine to make.

I support it. It’s pro choice; although no choice is easy, neither is raising a child with Down syndrome. Evolution isn’t pretty, but it is necessary.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:282786
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.