Agnostic.com

2 1

PORCH PEAS

I’m considering growing shelling peas on my second story porch. It only gets four hours direct sun a day... Will window boxes work ( on floor) or should I use buckets. How about support: poultry netting or twine ? Any help appreciated !

AlpineAzalea 4 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Window boxes will require you to bring fresh dirt thru the house frequently., as the plant consumes the dirt as it grows & window boxes are quite shallow. They also have drainage holes, really a bad idea indoors!
I would go to a donut shop and ask for the empty buckets, fill the bottom 1/3 with styrofoam peanuts for drainage (not the dissolving "eco safe" kind!). Lay a piece of larger-diameter-than-the-bucket porous garden cloth on top of the styrofoam peanuts so the dirt stays on top.
You can paint them with any kind of paint you have laying around for looks!
You can also get furniture glides to make them easy to slide/rotate...highly recommended, and cheap.
4 hours of sun however is Very marginal...get a gro-lite & a timer, several if you have a lot of plants....put the lights on chains or pulleys so you can adjust their height...to be effective they need to be very close to the plant tops, but not touching.if you are serious.
Mist often,even 2-3 times a day, to help not get whitefly.
Support: Chicken wire "Tower" or tomato cages, which I get at yard sales dirt cheap.

mono-filament Yoyo's, retract when not using, adjustable.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:283185
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.