Agnostic.com

7 2

LINK Should Atheists Get Married? What's the Point Without God? - YouTube

I want to know where you guys stand on this.
Personally, I would get married but I do not have a desire to have a wedding, I would prefer eloping and having a party for my family after, and I don’t desire to have children. If I do change my mind on kids I probably would consider adoption before conserving my own. If I don’t get married, I’m completely fine with that.
I really want to know what your opinions.

chlorine413 6 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just curious on your preference to adopt over having your own kids. Is it conservation of resources, or avoiding the inconvenience of pregnancy?

I feel you can commit to someone without marriage. My last relationship was 14.5 years. We aren't together anymore, but that's longer than many marriages. Also, I was adopted and support adoption!

Marriage is between 2 people who love each other God or no God.

It's funny. Atheists who are against marriage have no problem calling it a religious thing even when they know better (literally in this thread).

Marriage is not religious. It's not pagan (that's still religious). It originated as a way for men to ensure their heirs were legit, because we all know BC wimmenz were all big ol hoebags.

Now it's a legal ceremony in a secular nation. Religious attachment is optional and totally unnecessary. There are tax benefits and other, often unseen benefits that have nothing to do with sex. Mostly it's just lawful commitment.

Make of it what you will. It's your marriage.

Nonsense. The last four weddings I have attended have been conducted by a humanist celebrant. Marriage is a legal contract, nothing to do with religion.

Why SHOULDN'T an atheist get married if they want to? It doesn't have to be religious. I had a religion free wedding. (Unfortunately, I didn't have a drug free husband so I'm not married anymore) I got married in front of a frickin shark window (no lasers though)

Remi Level 7 Feb 7, 2019

I have had this thought cross my mind as well. Marriage does seem like a religious construct, but I'm sure someone will chime in about it being pagan or something of the sort. Marriage does benefit you come income tax time, because you get a higher deduction. Go figure, a religious bond means you get more money, likely a way of securing religious tradition through monetary enticement. Score one for the kiddie touchers. Well played.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:283339
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.