Agnostic.com

15 3

Are there any flat Earth believers among us?

I can't understand why anyone today would think the Earth is flat. It may be on the same level of silliness as belief in God, but for some reason, I find it more shocking. The reasons given for this belief rang from the absurd to the bizarre.

paul1967 8 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What do you mean the Earth is not flat ?

No, but I do believe in flat ware.

I can't believe there are any F.E.B. anywhere. It has to be a hoax. Right? Right? Please tell me I'm right, just a hoax. Thank you. Now I can get back to the Alien Autopsy.

The evidence used to convince people of things like a flat earth is always irrelevant nonsense and misinformation. What it takes to show them they're wrong is irrational. I get things like send me to space, and when I see it, I'll believe. Even when presented with perfectly valid evidence that makes it clear that flat earth is unsustainable, they refuse to accept reality. Yet, they think it's flat because this other clown said so with absolutely no evidence.

If I knew any flat-earthers, I'd want to ask them "Where is the edge? Why can't you show it to us?"

You would laugh at their response. According to most, the edge is a protected government secret, because just beyond the edge is a land of natural resources.

@paul1967 Not part of Earth, then? Have any of them ever tried to go there? what has happened to them? None ever came back? Too scared to go and have a look?

If there were flat earth believers here, they would not last long.......

marga Level 7 Feb 26, 2018

I suspect you're right.

I would like to think that anyone on this site is of a certain level of intelligence that would prevent them from believing such bullshit.

Flat Earth believers don't exist. They are round world deniers.

Well, I'm a round Earth denier too because it's not round it's oblong. 🙂

@paul1967 Oblongs are round. They're just not consistently round all around.

I thought the earth was flat until I saw the sun set.......like when I was a day old!

Which brings me to a little experiment anyone can do who happens to be at the beach where the sun sets over the ocean. At sunset lay down on your stomach, just as the sun sets completely over the horizon stand up and you will see the top crevice of the sun reappeared. This happens because the Earth is curved and something as small as standing up, changes your perspective enough to see it. I learned this trick from Niel Degrasse Tyson.

@paul1967 Hear hear! Love Dr Tyson. I really liked his reply when asked about flat earth theory and he said 'You just can't pull stuff out of your ass and call it science'.

@ipdg77 LMFAO so true, so true

@ipdg77 A great quote, and while we can easily dismiss flat-earthers, there are other unscientifically supported beliefs, held even by agnostics who subscribe to this website. For reasons which, when analyzed, may only be compared with religious faith, people who are agnostic on the existence of God, insist that: a) there are alien visitations in UFOs, b) homeopathy is legit; c) GMOs are dangerous; d) vaccines cause autism; e) ESP is real; and f) name your latest government conspiracy.

To believe in a flat earth now, in 2018, is so breathtakingly idiotic, that I still cannot believe that those who claim to believe it are not all trolls with an odd sense of humour.

I hear the flat earthers say we have been duped into believing the earth is round. It is just a big NASA and government conspiracy. I just want to know which government and why? What is the point?

It has got to be that they just want it to be true. Its got to be that their lives are so empty without the evil empire tricking them. I don't have a clue what its got to be honest but they can believe whatever crap they want to believe and I won't bother them until they stand up as an authoritative source

If the world were flat, wouldn't everyone want to live on the edge?

Well, yeah looking out over a trillion more stars as we watch the Oceans drift off the edge of the planet into outer space or wherever.

Impossible, the edge is surrounded by the icy mountains of the north pole, guarded by gmo heavily armed penguins bred by the secret services that will shoot everyone trying to get evidences of the flatness of the globe.
Do some research!

Actually, I believe they say it is an ice wall guarded by some sort of government soldiers who will not let you get too close. The penguins sound more believable...

Sure! and I also worship The Flying Spaghetti Monster Tee Hee

Candy Level 4 Feb 24, 2018

It is certainly absurd. You can't fix stupid!

Of course the earth is flat, just like this basketball!

d_day Level 7 Feb 24, 2018

Exactly!

One of my favorite essays is The Relativity of Wrong by Isaac Asimov [hermiene.net]
. He points out that a sphere about the size of the earth only differs from flat by 0.000126 per mile.
For that matter, the earth isn't quite a sphere. It's closer to an 'oblate spheroid'.
But that's not specifically correct either. One description I've heard is that it's slightly pear shaped.

Truth to tell though... When I leave my home most days, I don't take the curvature of the earth into account. For almost all of my purposes, the flat assumption works fine.
Lol, I guess.

@RichCC yes, they call it an oblate spheroid, but it is closer to spherical than a billiard ball is.

If there are, send them to me for immediate trashing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28409
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.