Agnostic.com

4 5

I think Everyone Should Review The New Tax Law Now!

Middle Class and poor are paying more, wile Banks and Corporate America Pay Less...
I hope everyone that Attends a Trump Rally Owe's Uncle Sam 😉.....

[yahoo.com]

[irs.gov]

twshield 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Did anyone notice the cap on interest for homes. Its $750,000. Meaning it should only be affecting people who earn in the $180,000+ a year range. Thats in the top 10% of earners.
When I saw this law last year plus the law that caps the deduction for SALT. To me I see it as a nudge to push people out of city centers and into more rural areas or less populated states. Because land values are lower and many of those cities or States have low to no additional income taxes. So with lower net income the move which might not have made sense before, does now. Which would cause a slight slow down in big city real estate markets but a push up into those rural areas.

@twshield i wouldnt say home ownership in general because the median price of a home is well below the cap. I would say in the long run it will reduce the demand for houses in the jumbo loan category.

@twshield no. But when you categorize it, or make a broad statement ,it can be misleading if one is not careful.
So I am agreeing it may in the short run deter ownership of houses in the 820k+ price range but that the majority of homes are not in that grouping.

@twshield No it's a price discriminatory factor to deter a buyer and the fact you still get the first $750,000 of interest as a deductable means that it has an elastic effect on higher priced homes. That means the effect is stronger the higher the price of the home is away from $825,000. So if you owe a million on a property at 5% interest you can't write off $50,000 you can only write off $37,500 but if You owe $800,000 youre only losing $2500 in deduction. In either case you're probably in the 24% or 32% range which means this loss if deduction translates into a $600-$2400 increase in taxes owed for a house that you owe 800k-1,000k on. So yes there is a deterence but no its not on the market as a whole. Second I'm not suggesting rural areas don't have million dollar homes. I'm suggesting that higher populated areas have a higher demand as a result overall prices are higher and you see more houses over the 825k range than you do in rural areas.

@twshield Again not as a whole and I would call it more a nudge than a full blown deterrent. Because the people affected by it are seeing an increase in their taxes that is roughly less than 1% of their total income. Nudges can be powerful in the long run though. You would see less homes in the Jumbo category carrying large loans.

But instead of going in circles you can say it's a deterrent for home ownership.
I'll say it's a nudge that only affects 13% of Americans at most. All of whom are in the top earners category.

@twshield Sure call it what you want. Remember though saying things that are purposefully misleading is the same as lying. The fact you now know and understand its applications but say it deters home ownership without specificity is what it is.

Review it I am feeling it big time. My medical deduction per year was around $11000 and loosing that changed my taxes greatly.

@Marine, I can't deduct my medical? That's over a third of my damned income.

@freeofgod Not any more. Removed by trumper as a deduction to pay for wealthy tax cut.

@Marine , there is no symbol to show my total disgust for this. But thanks for the answer.

@freeofgod I agree with you and I cannot find a word that describes trumper i just use ^%$#*&

@Marine , I can think of a lot of words to describe him but they would amount to a never ending string of curse words ;D

@freeofgod Right on

The removal of the medical deduction has caused about an 8% decline in refunds. This is one of the largest deductions for the middle and lower classes.Call your congress representatives and request that it be returned as a deduction.

I tried telling people that when the new laws were introduced. Some understood and agreed, while others only replied with "Trump GOOD! Hillary BAD! You not no math. YOU BIG DUMMY!" Trumpazees get angry when you try to explain math to them. Luckily I was able to avoid being bitten. Even now you can see comments all over the net from them, trying to pin the tax increase on Obama.

@twshield That's wishful thinking but probably too much to hope for.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:285953
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.