Agnostic.com

10 9

LINK How an insurance company auditor tried to destroy a physician's career

One of my favorite blogs is KevinMD. (I'm a medical geek, I work in Health Information Management and I love medical related stuff.) This article relates how insurance companies are calling the shots and have way too much power over decisions doctors can make and care doctors can provide.

HippieChick58 9 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We have known this for years. As long as the trillion dollar industry is allowed to buy Congress, nothing is going to happen.

They should have no say if it is approved by a doctor. I have seen to many rejections by ins co. They do not see the patient and what their needs might be. They just do not care.

That just shows how greedy corporate America is and most likely won't change any time soon. 😟

It's Amurika.
Land of the Bottom line..I will however have to call out the doctors claim that Masshealth has Killed more patients
Show me the numbers behind That claim doctor.

This is nuts. I am sure the parents LOVE going to see him and his dad on a Saturday -- they are open, taking patients, and nobody has to take a day off work just to get a kid a flu shot/physical/followup/etc. Leave it to an insurance company busy body to try to shut that down because (gasp) they were having to pay claims for very-logical-lets-get-things-done-while-we-are-here appointments.

Ohub Level 7 Feb 10, 2019

To bad you can’t easily sue the insurance company for malpractice. But they would simply pass the costs along. Perhaps if the penalties for the execs were criminal and personal rather than civil and corporate.

I don't even have to read that to agree with your statement

I was on the phone last week arguing for authorization for a very necessary medical procedure for a pt. The local hospital was not in network with this insurance company and we were trying to find a hospital where she could get the care she needed. They rattled off a list of in network hospitals, none of which even provided the necessary services. When I explained to them that it was not possible to provide this care at their chosen hospitals, they had no idea how restrictive their demands were. Often times in these situations we are forced to send a pt. through the ER because these claims get paid, so the burden doesn't fall on the pt, although completely inefficient and a huge waste of resources. People want to know why healthcare is so ridiculously expensive? It's because you're paying an RN to sit on the phone for hours arguing the need for extremely necessary services, and still end up often being forced to work around the insurance company by utilizing the ER for services that do not need ER resources. Nothing but corrupt, inefficient practices coming from insurance companies.

Follow the money.

@Detritus all the money is invested in their corporate offices and corporate salaries. Those are state of the art and highly competitive, while they want to send patients to podunk hospitals for major critical care. Twats, the lot of them.

Worst of all is often the insurance won't talk to a nurse, clerk, or scribe. They insist on only speaking to the doctor which is a HUGE waste of the doctor's time. Often it is a lowly claims examiner who is making the decisions based on the company matrix. I tell folks when the insurance turns you down, ask for a list of everyone who has handled that claim. If there hasn't been an MD in the process you have grounds to sue.

@HippieChick58 I completely agree. Every time my Doc does a peer to peer, I literally provide him with the clinical info already submitted, and not ONE SINGLE TIME has he added anything they didn't already have, yet some magical mandate now kicks it over to authed. Sadly, a lot of docs don't take the time or have the time to make those calls, which is why it's an effective strategy for the criminal insurance enterprise.

@Amzungu2 , And let's not forget the big bonuses for the CEO's. Kill a patient. Get a bonus.

Ah the good old american health care system...

That's been going on for years. It's bullshit. My dr prescribed a b/p med and the insurance company refused to pay. It's became a common theme.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:286011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.