Agnostic.com

8 7

The atheist commandments...
You shall believe the self and not stupid imaginary things.
You shall shine in the light of enlightenment.
You are what you are.
You will never give in to ignorance, stupidity falseness and stuff that's not right in your mind but you are going to google it anyways...
You will always ask questions and never take anything for granted just because..
You will always be happy with who you are.
You will not suffer fools.
You will listen with an open mind always.
You will not slap anyone who says their religion is the best one..

James121 7 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

... and you will reject arbitrary doctrine.

Ruzho Level 3 Feb 25, 2018

These are remarkably similar in meaning to Anton Lavey's satanic philosophies. Perhaps instead of believing in the self we should simply seek the objective truth. That basically makes all other commandments redundant.

Ralph Waldo Emerson has written out 'rules for life' that could easily be applied to Atheist and Humanists. And the 'God' concept doesn't even get a 'look-in'
To laugh often and much
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends.
To Appreciate beauty
and to find the best in others.
To leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child
or a garden or a redeemed social condition.
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived
This is to have succeeded.

As an atheist I'm not sure if there are any "Commandments." All I know is that atheists do not believe in gods. In my quest for evidence I also through in on a personal note that I have no belief in anything supernatural.

And finally: Thou shalt not pay heed to commandments in any form; question those who seek to command, and useth thine own brain.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 24, 2018

I like it. I like it a lot!

Can you define what in YOUR mind constitutes, "IGNORANCE, STUPIDITY, FALSENESS, and the SUFFERING OF FOOLS". Also why "slap" anyone? If you "listen" with an "open mind" violence wouldnt be an option. Do you see the contradictions? I do agree that being, "happy with ones self" is a must and taking nothing for granted. I find that just exploring my world and educating myself as thoughtfully as possible is a good way to be a citizen without judging others who hold their faith as a shield and as a platform to damn others. Exploration, Education and Appreciation are my tenants/commandments.

If I needed 10 commandments I reckon the ones etched in stone will work and stand test of time. I need no commandments.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28629
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.