Agnostic.com

7 6

For the handful of christians floating around here

What is it that you get from your belief in Jesus? I mean things like social acceptance, relationships with devout family members, financial support, or peace of mind? If the Bible is nothing more than a collection of made up stories do you really want to know that? Or would you feel more content hanging onto the fantasy?

Also if you Really and Truly believe in that Heaven and Hell story why aren't you running around with your heads on fire doing anything you can, up to and including another Inquisition, trying to convert non-believers? I once saw a man drenched from head to toe in flaming gasoline. If I had known that was going to happen to him I'd have done whatever it took to prevent it.

MarqG 5 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think if Jesus existed, he was someone who tried to do the right thing. There have been many others throughout history, gives me hope for the species. I readopted my faith because hate filled bigoted evangelicals were giving it a bad name. Most of my family and friends are Christian of one sort or another, and they're all good people horrified by America's Christian right. The Bible is Bronze Age morality literature mostly made up, and of very limited use as a guide to modern life. We have made a lot of progress since it was written. And no, heaven and hell is made up crap, our job here is to be there for our friends and family and try to make the world a better place.

I think it's odd that Christian today follow the old testament and ignore the teachings of Jesus. Jesus was a pacifist and would tell all the NRA Christian to gladly give up their gins. But today that is blasphemy.

Gins and guns don't mix.

@MarqG Tell that to whoever decided to lump ATF into one agency.

If I drank gin I would not give it up! Wine is my preference

Well, I for one am on this site because I need some perspective. I enjoy reading your comments about your beliefs and non-beliefs (if that is a word). I personally believe that our God dwells within us. God is the undeveloped power that will grow as we learn to use it. There is no big guy in the sky with a beard who gets pissed when we “sin”. That is the god of my childhood in catholic school. In other words, WE are god. I guess you could say this is as good as it gets, unless WE make it better. I think I like it this way.

Some folk think they are god, or should I say gods gift..

There is only one on this site that I have engaged with. His posts are in good taste, his responses thoughtful and clear. He does not prosleytize to any great extent. I have no problem with him posting, some of his non-religious posts are very good. If on the other hand, I find a user that trolls, I'll block him in an instant.

I'm sorry you had to witness that. It must have been extremely traumatic.

And I just remembered the worst time I ever had to sit with a Psychiatric patient - ever.

I'm lost.

Tell us about it Raven.

OK "Raven"
Worlds feeling a wee Bit Small here.
I painted the Pink House before . . .

AND I once KNEW a "Raven"
From that area of the world . . .
DECADES ago

@Davesnothere Squee! I'm sure it wasn't me decades ago. 😉 And only one friend (In CA) calls me by that nickname. Now did you get to paint the Pink House Pink? Or Salmon? (Darn Historical Society). lol

Fellow set himself on fire - the docs were debriding him in the ER (assessing damage) - Nurse had to shove a rolling chair under my butt because I was heading for the floor.

Yes sitting with Psych patients when there are 8 medically trained people already there was ridiculous.

@RavenCT We called it Pink, but I'm sure It's Salmon. Beautiful structure inside and out. I attended Woodstock Academy in my freshman year.

@Davesnothere Yes Roseland Cottage is gorgeous. There's a massive crafts fair in the fall and part of the admission price covers the house tour. Went again this year.

@RavenCT Yeh, but all 8 of those might have had to leave if a code came in or something. You did a necessary job. Good work. Sorry it was a bit overwhelming for a little while.

@ElizabethI I'm one of those "Do first - pass out later" people in a crisis. It was sort of humiliating to become patient two. For a few seconds. It was an excellent nurse she also promptly blocked my view with her body.

@RavenCT Me too. Running into disasters to help rather than running away - but paying for it later.

But we all have limits. I can't be in a room with a bronchoscopy without passing out if the doctor has it on a large viewscreen rather than looking into the bronchoscope...

No answers huh. They must have all gone to bed early. Church in the morning. 🙂

rofl

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28656
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.