Agnostic.com

9 9

Snow Day: altering an embroidered, wool jacket

Today was another snow day! We had a foot of snow yesterday. It's snowing again. What do you do when you're stuck at home?

This embroidered, lined wool jacket had giant padded shoulders. I saved it because it's a piece of art.

This morning, I removed the shoulder pads.This left the shoulders too wide.

"I know how to fix this," I thought. "No need to pay a seamstress $200."

At noon I braved deep snow and took the jacket to my dear friend, Billie. Billie is a great seamstress. She had her own sewing project going: making a new robe.

Billie suggested reducing the shoulder width by 3/4". And to reduce the puffy top of the sleeves.

I did. Made the sleeves match. Yay! After basting in the sleeves, the jacket is hanging overnight to develop the drape.

Tomorrow I will sew in the sleeves and trim excess fabric. Steam in the shoulders. Then alter the lining to fit smoothly.

Love this jacket! It's nice and warm.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

After shoveling snow:

I sewed the sleeves into the jacket. Steamed the shoulder seams. The jacket is hanging to dry after steaming.

To finish, I will alter the lining to fit smoothly.

Thanks for your encouragement, everyone!

So impressed that you tackled this...it is nice to be able to save something so beautiful and wear it once again!

I would be lovely over a simple black dress...so many colors!

Please take a picture of you wearing it when you are done!

@thinktwice

Thank you so much! I appreciate you. Love your idea to wear it over a simple black dress.

Somewhere a Latvian blue hair is asking herself, "where did I put down my jacket"? Sorry to all the Latts out there. (But, really it is quite handsome.)

No wonder you did not want to get rid of it. I am making a denim skirt at the moment. Yes I know i can purchase one but this is not your average denim. It is lovely and baby blue denim.

Wow, that's beautiful. Is it all hand-done?

@bleurowz

Yes, the hand-embroidery was done in Peru.

That is a great work of art, I would wear it in a minute, but it would not fit me, food and great looking artistic works like this make me happy. Thanks for showing this.

gorgeous jacket!

@Donna_I

That's why I saved it. Love the embroidery.

With the huge shoulder pads, I looked like a military general.

@LiterateHiker fashion can do terrible things to beautiful fabric! I am glad this piece found a new life with you.

@Donna_I

The jacket hangs straight down. As a slender person, I usually wear more fitted clothes.

Think I'll wear the jacket open with slim black pants and a black shirt. Or a maroon shirt. Gold jewelry. What do you think?

@LiterateHiker so many colors you could choose. I think the maroon skirt could be lovely! Do you prefer gold jewelry? I think either could work. ? excited to hear how it goes!

@Donna_I

With a "winter" skin tone, I look best in blue tones. Usually I wear black pearl earrings or silver. Love my mother's pearls.

@LiterateHiker pearls are very elegant choice in my opinion. A lovely photo as well!

Wow. I was proud that I made muffins. You topped me today., LH! ?

@zeuser

Thanks! Wish I had one of your muffins. Good job.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:288073
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.