Agnostic.com

33 3

I'm still not convinced climate change is a problem. Can you convince me otherwise?

I'll admit it. In my past religious life, I did not believe in the climate change crisis. I'm open to the idea now but I'm still skeptical.

It's not that I don't believe in global warming. All I have to do is look out the window to confirm that. What I struggle with is the idea of certain catastrophy due to human causes. From what I understand at the moment, rising temperatures are not necessarily going to keep rising indefinitely and so far it's not a bad thing because it opens up more land worldwide to the production of food.

Please feel free to post evidence for why you believe we're heading for catastrophy or other conclusions about climate change. Insults will be ignored.

Edited to add: Thanks for all the great links, everyone. I'm working my way through them. Feel free to add but I think I've said all I can at the moment. I'll just be looking through everything for a while.

UpsideDownAgain 7 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

just a couple of degrees warmer is hard on trees. No trees no air to breathe.
We've tons of trees succumbing to needle blight in SE Michigan . It's very sad.
Trees only have so many sets of leaves to fall back on when they get fooled into thinking it's spring, then get hit with a crippling freeze.

The range of Chagas triatome reduuvae is also spreading north where they're not indigenous. Those fuckers spread heart disease.

Also, climate change doesn't give 2 shits about whether people believe in it or not.
It will affect people in ways they can't put 2 & 2 together like "hmmmm, why are avocados so expensive this year? It's ridiculous!". And they'll go about their merry way in cluelessness.

No, because I already read the comments and I think you are an idiot and a troll and I will not waste my time. The points to be gained in a troll thread are not that important to me, I would rather block you, never to cross paths with your ignorance again.

[pbs.org] this documentary has a minneapolis local meteorologist in it, who is a devout catholic, and didn't believe in climate change either, until he did RESEARCH!

All you need to do is watch a few science shows on the subject or read some books on the subject. Do so with an open mind and a sense of humility.

Just wondering do you have any evidence that contradicts the science? Then that could be incorporated into the hypothesis to include a fuller picture. The research may have missed something.

These "skeptical" links are really bad. Seriously, people need to stop claiming to be "skeptical" when they accept bullshit from unknown/unreliable sources.

Marz Level 7 Feb 16, 2019

About if opening more land to grow food, the downside is that it also does the complete opposite. A lot of land becomes non arable too.

Who benefits the most from preventing action against climate change? For example, electric cars and trucks, e.g., Tesla, put less CO2 into the air than gas and diesel vehicles. The biggest corporations pump and sell oil, and the automotive industry is huge. The world burns a cubic mile of oil a year. Add coal and the power generation and distribution industries, and you get climate change.

Switching to green energy and electric vehicles will destroy the oil gas and coal industries. Tesla has already forced the automotive industry to start the switch to making EVs, but IMO most auto manufacturers will suffer, and some will fail. Electric vehicles need little maintenance and no oil changes; dealerships make money on service, and little on sales. Auto dealerships will suffer and perhaps vanish.

All of these industries are opposed to the green revolution. With trillions of dollars at stake, they have been fighting for survival, and they fight dirty. They attack scientists and political activists. They publish articles to confuse people.

Yes, climate change is real. It threatens human existence. People are already dying from climate change, the frail from heat and others from extreme weather.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:290156
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.