Agnostic.com

3 1

[lgbtqnation.com]

This bill in Georgia is called the "Keep Faith in Adoption Act." I am reminded of a heterosexual couple I knew from a UU Church in Tuscaloosa, AL back in the early 90s, who tried in vain for several years to adopt a child, any child, locally. They were turned down repeatedly for the sole disqualifying attribute that they were not Christian. They finally had to go international, a more expensive and complicated process.

Adoption agencies in this country, largely private, already have broad latitude to set their own policies. So if what if all adoption agencies oppose adopting to singles, or divorcees, or gay or tans couples, or atheists. Where does that leave these would-be parents, short of the option of starting their own more agreeable agencies, an impossibility for most, to be sure?

Your thoughts?

MikeInBatonRouge 8 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The two children that I gave up for adoption were private adoptions. You don't necessarily have to go through an adoption agency.

That's great, but the would-be adoptive parents are still going to have a hard time knowing how to connect with those private non-agency-connected individuals.

Funny you should say that as I see ads all the time in newspapers from want to be parents looking for a child to adopt.

I know at least three phone calls I'll be making tomorrow. Make that four. One will be to the FFRF, as well.
That's bullshit.
Sometimes, I get so damned aggravated living in this state.

Pretty hard to argue that this Isn't religiously based government policy-making action. 😟

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29035
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.