Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK Zeynep Tufekci: We're building a dystopia just to make people click on ads | TED Talk

23 minutes well spent to understand our digital world

We're building an artificial intelligence-powered dystopia, one click at a time, says techno-sociologist Zeynep Tufekci. In an eye-opening talk, she details how the same algorithms companies like Facebook, Google and Amazon use to get you to click on ads are also used to organize your access to political and social information. And the machines aren't even the real threat. What we need to understand is how the powerful might use AI to control us -- and what we can do in response.

Lukian 8 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This was a fascinating watch. I don't use social media much these days and this video makes me very glad I don't, but it also concerns me for those who do. The divide we're seeing in the US and elsewhere in the world can only be exacerbated by the algorithms that are evolving more quickly than we, as a species, could ever hope to. This is probably my biggest fear for the future.

Dystopia, indeed.

what recourse do we, as individuals, have to counter this technology? I use many ad blockers which seems to prevent from being followed by my web browser. There must be many other things one can do.

@Lukian I don't think the problem lies with the individual. I think it lies in the mob mentality created by these algorithms. And I don't think there's any going back.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:290462
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.