Agnostic.com

3 1

Death, pro or con? It seems most people view death as an unfounded rumor. A terminal diagnosis is the equivalent of being slapped in the face with a wet mop. Acknowledging death will focus the mind as no other event can.

JBo6dec 3 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Death, pro or con?"

Con. i.e. I don't believe it exists.

"It seems most people view death as an unfounded rumor."

Yeah sort of. i.e. Other people die (in a sense,) at least from our point of view, but not from theirs. They no longer exist so they aren't dead from their point of view because they no longer have any point of view.

"A terminal diagnosis is the equivalent of being slapped in the face with a wet mop."

I'd choose being slapped in the face with a wet mop any day over a diagnosis like that!

"Acknowledging death will focus the mind as no other event can."

Yes I'd bet it does. It's kind of hard to clearly imagine one's own demise. It least it is for me despite the fact that I can't deny my life will end one day.

Paul Level 5 Nov 6, 2017

There's 2nd hand knowledge and then there's first hand experience. Having an ideology about death and getting news you or a loved one is dying are 2 entirely different experiences. Although a non-theist may not fear 'being' dead that doesn't mean they don't mind 'experience' dying. Also there are other moments in life that help us remember what's really important in our lives and in living.

tell me about it. I got a terminal diagnosis in July and still at a loss as to how to proceed and process this news.

Neither pro or con, its reception is as personal as birth.

mzee Level 7 Nov 5, 2017
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2907
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.