Agnostic.com

27 2

I'm hoping someone can shed some insight for me. I don't believe in God, nor prayer. I'm often getting in arguments with my father in law who is a die-hard Christian. He often tells me I can't be an atheist because deep down even I believe in God, I'm just fearful of him, which isn't true at all. I'm not scared. I choose not to believe in an invisible man who sends gays to hell for loving the same gender/sex.He also tells me that if I think being gay is okay, I'm also okay with people killing each other. What do I respond with to him? He says everything is Gods way, and he denounces other religions, and all Muslims are bad, that he's read the Qur'an, and he pretty much thinks he knows everything about the Bible because he's read it 74638448399 times.

Danielle0989 4 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is very hard trying to convince anyone that believes by faith and not reason of their error. All the things you mentioned are side issues. If you must argue then find the one core assumption that facilitates their belief. That is the only way to discuss the difference and really understand where each other is coming from. In Christianity it is the subject of faith. Faith in God and the Bible. Biblicists believe the Bible to be the word of God and in that sense it is their God. Understand what faith means Biblically and you find the key assumption that that all of Chrianity hangs on,
The Bible says, "Faith is the substance of things hope for, the evidence of things not seen." You must understand that faith excludes logical reason or proof. When Christians claim they have proof that God exists or the Bible is the actual word of God without error in its original state, and God is immutable, all knowing, eternal, etc., it is all based on faith. To try to prove it nullifies faith. FAITH IS THE KEY ISSUE, AND PROOF OF GOD, OR THE BIBLE AS THE WORD OF GOD, IS ANTI FAITH. That is the point of departure from reason. Understand that, and keep the discussion on that issue, because all else is based on that one assumption.
Christ said, blessed is he who believes without seeing. A person of real faith cannot be swayed by reason or proof, because faith is anti reason and logic. For them faith is logical, and when someone believes that truly, you can never sway them no matter how smart or logical you are.

Reading selected verses ad infinitum still leaves the rest unread... Complete works of Josephus would possibly help him. Also, an understanding of the Customs and Mores of the Jews about 100± AD/BC would help him... And you... Mary was referred to as a maiden (not a Virgin, exactly) in their Customs and Mores sex between a Maiden and her intended was in fact sort of encouraged... Jesus's ascent into Heaven(The High Priesthood) 14 steps to the Holy of Holies, actually a dining hall for the high priests(LMAO)... Sacrifice the best youngest Bull and BURN Their ENTRAILS on the alter... The High Priests Eat the rest...LMAO!! "Squab" BTW- What do they think happened to the Animals they Sacrificed? The Myths of that era can be explained by real Customs and Mores but the results are not of god they are of man... And As Lewis Black says his people were very adept at Bull Shit...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29158
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.