Agnostic.com

7 9

Friends, especially those in education or that know people in education, I just got done watching Amanpour on PBS (a great talk show where Christiane Amanpour is the moderator, nightly on PBS) where she had a segment with the co-founder of Twitter who says that social media is broken. It occurs to me that there needs to "social media" classes starting in junior high to teach kids how to deal with social media and how to distinguish truth from fake news. Waiting until the college level is too late. Maybe kids in the 4-6th grades can handle it, the sooner the better. It is wayyy to easy to push conspiracy theories and lies theses days and no one is there to teach kids (and many adults) who receive this avalanche of information how to handle it. That's why I believe there is a need to expose kids to the lies and conspiracy theories etc. and also to Snopes.com and fact checking and teach them how to sift through tons of bad information to find the truth. Certainly god and religion are also bombarding social media and we know how truthful all that is πŸ™‚ So they question is, how to do we get such a curriculum into the schools?

lerlo 8 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@lerlo

I have reread all postings, and it still seems a little confusing. You seem to describe a class in social media fact-checking. To call it a curriculum is a misnomer. Adding a single class into the public school curriculum is somewhat easier than adding a new course of study.

EBSCO is a database with on-line access to newspapers, books, articles, dissertations, and other material that has been printed. There are numerous such sites available of which some have been peer-reviewed and been deemed credible sources by academics. The problem with these sites are that they only cover subjects that have been through the processes. The social media examples you give lead me to suspect you are looking for almost instantaneous fact-checking abilities. Traditional credible sources lack this ability.

IF you are looking to add a class in social media fact-checking, am I to understand that you still need credible sources for on-line fact-checking of social media material?

FYI teaching such classes require specific degrees for teaching in public schools with additional classes required for teaching in middle school. College instructors need a master's degree or Ph. D. It is not possible to just cross-over and teach.

Also, under which discipline would this class be taught; English? Information Technology?

@lerlo

At some point, we might look into forming a group so that what we discuss while hammering this out isn't constantly sent out to everyone who follows each of us.

Each state decides its own set of learning standards. Arizona calls theirs Academic Standards; Michigan calls theirs Common Core Curriculum.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is the principal of the school for grades 4-5-6. He says in Grade 4, students do general research projects. This school is currently writing about civil rights leaders. I am assuming here, but I would think it is because they would use reference books. Reference books do not need to be peer-reviewed since much of the information has become "common knowledge." For instance, the date that Kennedy was shot is common knowledge. If it were used in a school paper, it would not need a citation because no matter what book in which you look, the given date for his assassination is always the same. Shakespeare's date of death, however, is not so commonly known and would need a source. Steve (the principal) also said students in 4-5-6 would be too young to learn about social media sources. It would be over their heads. Again, I'm assuming the reason is that verifying the source is not something they do yet.

I can meet with the principal of the junior high (grades 7-8 ) since they also do research projects, but first I think we need to firm up the idea of what our (the group's) aim is and maybe a set of questions to ask local principals. Now is the time to do it, before the summer break.

We also need to be cognizant of the fact that we must be bipartisan. While we understand that Trump lies about things like the size of his inaugural audience, it could be a touchy subject in a family that is led by someone who believes everything he says.

Sorry I post so much. I retired early and miss using my brain and I can be a bit tenacious when I'm excited.

Well if youve read all the posts you see we have ideas on what type of stuff is used to verify things so I think we have a starting curriculum. Or at least suggestions we can make but I think it needs to be a separate class myself--not something taught one day. Truth isnt partisan so we're just teaching them how to find the truth so they just don't believe everything they read or hear. Thanks for reaching out the elementary school, I wasnt sure if that was too early. I have no clue how to start a group here.

I chaired the curriculum committee at my college the year I retired. To be honest, curriculum is driven by what universities say is required for degrees, not, sadly, what businesses require or want. Research writing classes teach about credible sources, but not all degrees require research writing. IT is not really the ideal department to handle this problem because this particular class would need to center on what you DO with your electronic device, not how to USE your electronic device.

Also keep in mind that financial aid (FA) instituted stringent rules in 2015. FA only pays for classes which work toward a chosen degree. Electives are sometimes allowed, but students are then sometimes forced to take x number of natural science, political science, or math classes with few free electives, depending on how the submitting department wishes the degree to be set up.

Community colleges and 4-year colleges are confined to fulfill what universities require for even higher education. Businesses have complained for years that recent college graduates do not have the ability to work in groups or speak up in meetings, yet communication classes are routinely cut as a requirement for a degree.

Higher education is already (still) complaining that students come to us without the ability for cognitive complexity, ethics, or personal high standards. I hate to say it, but a grade 4-6 student usually lacks the maturity to care about truth, justice, and infringement of separation of state and religion. Junior and High school would be the best place to teach this, but again, the problem is convincing the Board of Education that this class is integral to a degree rather than to fact-check social media.

At the public school level, we would need, I believe, Betsy DeVos's approval to insert it into the junior or high school curriculum, and it'll be a cold day in proverbial hell before that happens. After all, if the, let's say, President of the United States utters an untruth, presenting it as a truth, that is not a social media problem, that is an ethical problem. Media can repeat that information without proving it true or false, just as "the President said....". Likewise, another Media outlet can fact-check that statement and counter with a source which states the comment was untrue. The decision to believe one over the other takes cognitive complexity, and most students this age haven't developed that ability yet.

A more likely scenario is to find a grant or other funding opportunity and offer it as a free class in social responsibility. As for the religious insertion, that is a trickier problem best left to adults. For instance, Florida's proposal to put "In God We Trust" into every public school classroom is more an ACLU concern. For smaller insertions, we might be unfairly asking our students to act as watchdogs.

I salute your idea. I agree that we need to prepare our citizens to make decisions themselves based on verifiable information. However, I think you will meet opposition because an ignorant citizenship is a docile citizenship.

I appreciate your response. And I had no idea that the Board of Education would need to be approached. Can they really not pick their own curriculums? Maybe you're right that it needs to be some Bill Gates Foundation or something like that or maybe even that co-founder of Twitter who needs to fund it but I appreciate the leads. Would you be willing to assist? My concern if it's just a class that's out there in public the kids aren't really forced to take it and that's probably what I think needs to happen.
P.s. in my line of work I'm used to meeting opposition, that doesn't stop me.

@lerlo I would be glad to help. I taught research writing so understand credible sources. In this day and age, we can do this online.

@EllenDale Great--thanks. I'll let you know when I have a plan

@lerlo There is a section missing here. You asked what argumentation was, and I responded this morning. I have reposted my response below.

Argumentation, as I use the word, is a writing method that employs both argument and persuasion. It is taught in first semester English composition classes. Argument "aims to win reader's agreement with an assertion or claim by engaging their powers of reasoning." Persuasion "aims to influence reader's actions, or their support for an action, by engaging their beliefs and feelings." The most effective argument contains elements of both methods (Kennedy, X. J., et al.Β The Bedford reader. Bedford/St. Martins, 2009.Β Oh., Pg. 519). It is taught in college composition classes as part of writing styles available for various audiences. The Bedford Reader (the textbook my college used) offers chapters on narration, description, example, comparison and contrast, process analysis (how-to), division or analysis, classification, cause and effect, definition, and (finally) argument and persuasion. Even the set-up of this textbook works up to argument and persuasion instead of teaching it first and employing it in all of the other methods.

Next, we need to agree about what critical thinking skills are.

According to the University of Michigan, critical thinking skills employ the following:

analyzing,
agpplying standards,
discriminating,
information seeking,
logical reasoning,
predicting, and
transforming knowledge

(http://www.umich.edu/~elements/5e/probsolv/strategy/ctskills.htm) (or google University of Michigan critical thinking skills)

The Bedford Reader succinctly states (and perhaps oversimplifies) "several overlapping operations":

analysis,
inference,
synthesis, and
evaluation

(Kennedy, X. J., et al.Β The Bedford reader. Bedford/St. Martins, 2009.Β Oh., Pg. 18-19)

Obviously, one class cannot teach all of these skills to the degree we may wish for American students.

The following link spells out one school's system for teaching critical thinking skills. As you can see by the accompanying pictures, teaching begins in elementary school and is infused throughout the public school curriculum.

[google.com] (or google TSPC Guidance KS12 pdf)

In conclusion, critical thinking skills are not something that can be taught in a one-semester class. Rather, it is a paradigm that needs to be implemented in the American school system from an early age and practiced repeatedly in order to instill it as the student matures. This would be a DeVos job.

Rather, what you propose is best geared for students/users who have yet to learn critical thinking skills and, therefore, cannot necessarily discern between choices. Perhaps what the students need is a place to go to fact-check or define in order to determine truth. In that case, maybe what we need is to create a site where users can click a button to achieve what they want. For instance, a fact-check button that offers various verifiable fact-checking sites to choose from or a definition button which offers sites to check statutes that separate government and religion. Alternatively, it may contain a place to insert info which is then fact-checked against verifiable sources including separation of state and religion (i.e., putting "In God We Trust" in public school classrooms). The simpler the process to achieve what we want, the more it is accessible to under-educated users.

@EllenDale Sorry I missed it. All helpful. So now we have the curriculum now we need to implement it. I think this is the second time you mentioned DeVos. Does she seriously control every curriculum in the United States? Every school has to go through her?

@EllenDale Also my concern is that kids that just accept things or are taught by their parents or brainwashed to accept certain things won't go to that site just because it's easy. They need to be force-fed critical thinking. If they choose not to use it just like any other information they learn in school, there's nothing you can do but I don't think having it available will make them use it. It's already available in many forms.

@lerlo I don't know if DeVos is the dictator of curriculum. I will ask around. And you are correct that the young youth need to be force-fed. I messaged with an idea. I'll check with our local junior high about that, too.

@EllenDale thanks

This is a great idea! Some years back (2001-2003) I spent two years teaching computer science at a small liberal arts college. One of the classes I had to teach was a "computer applications" class that taught basic computer literacy and app usage - think Word, spreadsheets, etc. I starting folding in a class on "trustworthiness" of information. I'd take the class down the rabbit hole of Apollo moon landing deniers. I'd start out by being fascinated by "well, maybe... " and "wow maybe it is fake" before popping the balloon and pointing out all the flaws in the moon landing denier websites. I generally could get a good proportion of the class to believe that the Apollo landings were a hoax.

We always ended up having a good discussion about discerning what was truth and not (this well before the "FAKENEWS" era), and me giving the class pointers on discovering what is true vs not.

Things are a thousand times worse now, and there is no attempt to educate our youth on this.

Ohub Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

Do you have still connections to start the process? Sounds like you were doing the very thing that's necessary. Or do you know how to get into schools? Still willing to teach such a class?

@lerlo My contacts have long since retired, and those kinds of courses don't really exist much anymore, even though they were useful. I managed to do this in one class period in an existing class, so really didn't have any issues added it in -- it really didn't take away from all of the things I was required to cover in class.

@Ohub ok thanks, I'll let you know when I have a plan.

Also that anything they put online is online forever.

Great idea... and before it’s too late.

Tomas Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

Good idea!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29223
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.