Agnostic.com

7 6

Diary of Newcomer to Ogden, Utah

December 2: It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snow ball fight (I won), and when the snow-plow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. I love Utah.

December 12: More snow last night. I love it. The snow-plow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.
December 19: More snow last night. Couldn’t get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. F^@#*%! snow-plow.

December 22: More of that white shit fell last night. I’ve got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snow-plow hides around the curve and waits until I’m done shoveling the driveway. Asshole!

December 25: Merry F^@#%! Christmas. More friggen snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-bitch who drives the snow-plow I swear I’ll kill the bastard. Don’t know why they don’t use more salt on the roads to melt the f^&ing ice.

December 27: More white shit last night. Been inside for three days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow-plow goes through every time. Can’t go anywhere, car’s stuck in a mountain of white shit. The weatherman says to expect another 10 inches of the shit again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10 inches is?

December 28: The f^@#%! weatherman was wrong. We got 34 inches of that shit this time. At this rate it won’t melt before the summer. The snow-plow got stuck up in the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the shit he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his f^@#%! head.

January 4: Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3,000 damage to the car. Those fucking beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.

May 3: Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from that f^@#*%! salt they put all over the roads.

May 10: Moved to Arizona. I can’t imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that god-forsaken state.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Kind of reminds me of the time spent in Northern Montana between Havre and Malta, Once spent three weeks and the warmest it got was twenty below zero. I hate it when the snow starts to blow at this temperature it is like sand. During the summer it got really hot and the area's bird is the mosquito, Lots of rattlesnakes.

Sounds like Redfield,NY on the Tug Hill Plateau. They get up to 300 inches/year

Lol!
I'm 18 miles North of Ogden...in Brigham City.

At least the Donner party didn't stop by for directions or a meal.

Love Ogden!

Mr13 Level 3 Feb 18, 2019

I lived there for 4 years. In Ogden. Never had any trouble getting around in the winter.You buy snow tires and hire someone to clear your driveway if necessary. Beautiful state with the best skiing in the world. We have two resorts right outside Ogden. People come from Europe just to ski Park City, Snowbird and Alta. She said why don't they put more salt on the road, and then bitched about the rust on her car? Sounds like you can't please some of the people any of the time. The only thing bothersome were the Mormon missionaries that knock on your door occasionally, and I got rid of them by telling them we were Jewish.

I worked at Snow Basin the winter of '72/'73. Actually lived in a small trailer up at the Basin. My job was clearing the parking lots of snow after a storm and grooming the slopes. There were 3 of us young guys from So Cal up there, one guy stayed across the parking lot in the day lodge, and my buddy and I would go over there on our day off and eat like kings. Sometimes we'd go over to Snowbird or Park City. I had some amazing adventures there; I'd have to say it was the most memorable winter of my life. Never had a problem with anybody trying to convert us, they were mostly all just really nice people; especially the family that ran the place.

@Condor5 I worked at Nordic Valley from 78 to 80. And in 82 I moved to San Diego where I remained until 05. Small world. I used to take a bullet with me to ski and I remember one day standing alone on the edge of a cliff at Snowbird in complete silence. I could not even see any ski tracks in front of me. Did a couple hits and I swear I floated through the powder on the way down. I could not even see from mid-thigh down. F** amazing.

@mooredolezal I went over to Nordic for night skiing it was like cement that one time I went. I've smoked ganja since I was 16, off and on, but over the years found that for me, it wasn't any good to mix with intense sports, whether skiing, surfing, or mountainbiking. Just a personal preference. Now, the guy I bike with smokes at the top of the trail virtually every time we ride.

Were you on the Ski Patrol at Nordic? I wasn't that good a skier, but I'd do sweeps with them occasionally. Those guys are good skiers.

@Condor5 the only time that they let us ski for free was at night, and you are right it sucked. I was talking about blow. A bullet is a little self-contained dispenser you can use anywhere. The only activity I would do after smoking pot would be to dance! LOL I could ski the expert runs at Snowbird, but I was not good enough to be on Ski Patrol. I do have a good friend who is on Ski Patrol at Snowbasin and has been for about 30 years.

@mooredolezal oh, okay, I've never done coke (blow?), but in my late teens and early 20's I was very fond of amphetamines; a somewhat similar high, I'm guessing.

The Matthews family managed Snow Basin when I was there; really good people. It was a nice area. If I'm not mistaken, there were some Olympic events held there a few years ago.

@Condor5 yes similar but more of a feel good high and less of the Speedy High. That name sounds familiar and I believe you are correct about the Olympic events.

Gosh yes. I'm amazed that our ancestors made a virtue out of hardship.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:292287
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.