Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK Investors Join Calls for Food Revolution to Fight Climate Change | InsideClimate News

Money talks!

80 investor groups representing more than $6.5 Trillion in assets called on six of the largest fast-food companies, to set targets for GH gasses from their meat and dairy supply chains!

SkotlandSkye 8 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hope this keeps going and gets stronger!

Makes no sense for them to do this if the old practice is still followed world wide.

Climate change as its currently presented is most probably a complete scam anyhow.

SCal Level 7 Feb 18, 2019

Climate change is a "complete scam"? So, you think it's a hoax by the Chinese?

@JordanMarsh

The worlds #1 polluter is the us military. Never gets presented that way, though.

We also do not know the extent of the changes in climate attributed to humans, as opposed to geo thermal, solar and other factors outside of our control.

The Earth has been hotter than it is now for 98% of its entire known history. Surface warming should be expected, not a surprise.

@BryanLV Way to contradict yourself buddy.

@JordanMarsh

Not at all. Nice try, though.

@BryanLV You appear to need to be right. OK, have it.

In the summer of 2010, I worked for NASA in the Central Valley, CA. Our job was to investigate three problems involving atmospheric chemistry. One of the resesrch problems was focused upon measuring VOC's (volatile organic compounds) over the dairy farms in the Central Valley. The target VOC's that were of most concern included carbon dioxide, methane and ethane emmissions eminating off the dairy farms.

Our reasearch included flying in a DC8 equiped with monitoring equipment geared to taking air samples over the selected sites. We flew over as low as 1000 ft above the dairies, and as high as +20,000 ft. Multiple passes were made over each dairy. Control samples were taken away from the dairies to establish a baseline.

Significant inflated levels of VOC's were documented over the dairies after samples were analyzed back in the NASA labs. Methane is produced when the cattle feces is collected in large piles adjacent to the dairy yards. It is usually bulldozed into large piles to remove them from the living pens. This is also a significant source of carbon dioxide emissions.

Ethane is produced as the piles of feed corn ferments. Because of the volume of feed needed to feed the dairy cows, the corn is kept in large open piles. As humidity and precipitation invade these pikes, the sugars in the corn activates the fermentation process.

Our research showed that dairy, and cattle feed lots for fattening cattle prior to shipping them off for slaughter are significant sources of greenhouse gasses.

By abusing our animal brothers and sisters....humans are reaping the boomerang of harming themselves. Unfortunately, they are also killing the Earth which is just perpetrating the harm....

@SkotlandSkye. On a philosophical level I find sympathies with your stand. I am a natural scientist and an animal lover. But... I am also a lover of animal protein. My problem with the cattle industry is the damage it does to the planet. Cattle husbandry is probably the most abused industry practiced on the planet. No other form of food production is as land and resourse consumptive as cattle ranching.

As a result of the cattle industry, huge tracks of needed tropical forest has been cut down to make way for grazing, a habitat incompatible with the biome where its practiced. This usually involves slash and burn techniques that add to the global CO2 budget. This also is responsible for the displacement of many species as their habitat is modified and changed to accomodate cattle.

Cattle ranchers (until recently) have been guilty of overgrazing the areas they select to graze their herds. As a result, the denudation of the landscape has caused massive erosion. Topsoils are rendered unproductive and nearly sterile in some areas associated with ranching. Cattle eat grasses down to the roots, inhibiting grass regrowth.

Down cutting of local arroyo's, streams, and rivers has been unparalleled since the advent of cattle ranching. The Santa Cruz River, in Tucson, AZ, down cut 30 feet in the first decades after the introduction of cattle ranching in the area. This is typical in cattle ranched country. Down cutting prior to this was historically and geologically insignificant prior to this.

@t1nick

@SkotlandSkye. My intake is nominal. Animal protein is part of the human evolution. Out gut bacteria is evolved for protein consumption. Our present dentition pattern has evolved as a result of an omnivorous diet, which inludes meat protein. I am opposed to inhumane rearing and killing practices which abound in the industry. I am supportive of vegan and vegetarian diets and lifestyles, but do not practice myself and do not intend in taking up this lifestyle any time soon.

@t1nick Then, as I pointed out, you do not "love" animals. You may love "pets"...but you are not a true animal lover. Millions of millions of vegans are healthy and live everyday proving that we don't need to support cruelty and death to live.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:292510
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.