Agnostic.com

6 1

What's the point?

What is the point in living? There seem to be enough humans already on this Earth. I have brothers and sisters who could pass on my genetic information. I don't know what I have to offer humanity that someone else couldn't.

MuhammadSaleh98 4 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The point is whatever you decide it is. Meaning and purpose are things you find for yourself. There is no answer to the question you posed for ALL because meaning isn't externally bestowed, fully formed. It is something you derive for yourself.

Depression is mostly a disconnect from belonging and from engagement with the things you actually care about. What is standing in the way of that belonging and/or engagement for you?

It's not as if everyone has the option to do what they want without consequence or compromise -- or that they necessarily should. Quite the opposite for the most part. But if you are unhappy enough to feel there's no point to your continued existence, then you owe it to yourself to make whatever changes you can, to change that equation for yourself, before you can rationally just decide not to have more experiences. 99% of the time, you can change one or more of:

• Your circumstances
  • Your attachments to particular outcomes
  • Your expectations

Also, unhappiness can be a signal that you hold beliefs that you know at some level aren't supportable or at least that prevent you from being fully yourself. Consider whether any beliefs are associated with negative feelings about life or yourself, then examine those beliefs skeptically and critically to see if they're justifiable. Be ruthless about it.

Muhammad you're unique. Nobody has your smile, nobody laughs like you, nobody views the world the way you do, nobody's had your journey. You never know what small act you may have done or are yet to do that could have a profoundly positive effect on someone. That's why we're here, it's not about passing on genetics it's about passing on the best of the human condition. 🙂

Everything is completely pointless. The universe has no meaning except for what objects capable of thought give to it. Don’t sweat it, find calmness in nothingness.

Muhammad, I've been where you are right now - I've even gone that little further and taken what I then hoped would be the final step. It wasn't, and I'm obviously still here - all I can say to you is you never know what's around the corner, who you'll meet tomorrow and what you, uniquely, might one day achieve.

Hang on in there, chap.

(Also, having had a look at some of your replies on this site, you come across as a very genuine, kind and caring person - we need more people like you in the world. Plus it's always nice to have another British user on here!)

Jnei Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

Thanks I'll guess I'll try my best see what happens

@MuhammadSaleh98 Do so. You sound like a good bloke!

That's exactly my attitude Mohammad. I didn't get married till I was 52 and even now I've still never regretted not having children of my own. Some say I would have change my attitude if I ended up having my own offspring but that seems to be a moot point now. I do like children though , especially well behaved and well mannered children (like I was when I was a child) Ha ha. No , I was actually a troublesome little shit.

What is you can offer yourself that brings great mental pleasure. You have yourself to offer and it if that is not enough in your mind, then what do you have to offer

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 26, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29511
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.