Agnostic.com

9 4

QUESTION Trolls just want to have fun - ScienceDirect

I just came across this article about the psychology of cyber-trolls. The researchers show that trolling is positively associated with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, with sadism showing the most robust association.

Aralt 7 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some of them do anyway.

I think that people who do many objectionable things in society have fun doing them...especially criminals who get away with it.

After having given this some more thought, I have to wonder, are people being identified as "trolls" when they're simply being contrary? I think "troll" is an awfully broad term. There are quite a few people who don't necessarily follow the rest of the pack, and I see them being labeled as trolls. I have been called a troll, and I certainly don't see myself as such. I don't generally go along with whatever popular notions are being circulated, and as you all know, I have NO trouble saying so. I tend to think that some of us who get labeled as trolls are anything but. I see no harm in being contrary, especially when I don't agree with whatever the prevailing mindset may be. Disagreement does not a "troll" make.

@irascible Well damnit! I'm obviously not doing it correctly. I will endeavor to try harder. 😉

Troll me baby, troll me baby, ALL night long!

godef Level 7 Feb 26, 2018

That sure seems true to me because these people have always been with us. These certain personalities always created trouble on a smaller scale...behind your back. They are cowards!

I wonder if this is a recent phenomena or has the mindset always been there? Is this a result of nature or nurture (I suspect the later). I noted on Yahoo news there were often several hundred comments. Now, especially when it comes to tRump there are thousands and they are all mostly supportive. If these people can't use reason they will use force by trying to overwhelm their adversary.

A book by a young, woman of Indian descent "One Day we'll All be Dead and None of This Will Matter" talked about how she started getting a lot of hate comments with Twitter to the point of being depressed. She said people she would meet would seem really nice but she had no idea of what they were thinking. The computer allowed them to spew their darkest thoughts.

I would like to know what tests they use.

@ArashL there are different kinds of personality surveys of varying levels of validity

LOL Awesome!

interesting

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.