Agnostic.com

16 3

QUESTION **Are There Humanist Rules Regarding Foul Language?**

I asked about this issue when I first joined the group. It seems to come up every so often. Here is another recent take. I especially like the part about: ”And although expletives can be a great way to express oneself and release tension, overdoing it can dilute its potency. Moderation is a good thing to exercise along with those charged words. So go ahead and enjoy your da-n cursing the humanist way: within reason.” A caveat I added was that certain words with sexual connotations are best used for just that.

JackPedigo 9 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lighten up folks. The word fuck is a remarkably versatile word, noun, verb, adverb, adjective. Not many words that can do that.

No, we are not a united group with rules. I like your philosophy. Save your F*** 's until you need them, like for when the lawn mowers doesn't start or you your stub your toe.

I have mentioned this before and it always get's a surprise. Save your sexual words for sex. There they can actually have a positive effect!

d_day Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

Brilliant conversation - not.

I think gratuitous use of swear words diminishes their effectiveness. And in the wrong setting can just be uncalled for. But a well used swear word can add weight and gravitas (of a sorts) it's like comedy really, timing and delivery. I was tempted to end with a swear a word but I won't, so bollocks to you 🙂

Brian Blessed.

I didn't know it was an issue. Why have innocuous things suddenly become big problems?

I don't see it as an issue just a comment. To me a person's vocabulary is a reflection of a persons intelligence. Swear words do not diminish that view but I feel, like with everything else excessive use can reflect poorly. For me it is the words themselves, the reason and frequency used.

I wrote about this when I joined. While in the military I discovered more and more becoming a part of the mob and decided my language use was mine alone and I would try and be more thoughtful in my words. Apparently, the study by the Humanist showed I am not alone in my thinking.

@JackPedigo I wasn't intending to come across as accusatory. I majored in English and Journalism at University. Words are my thing. "Foul language" doesn't seem to be an issue, in my mind. I edit myself when around certain people/groups, out of respect. But, it's proven that a "foul" vocabulary is a stress reliever and also indicative of higher intelligence.

@JackPedigo so, just curious, Jack, if you think swearing is related to intelligence, do you think that people like George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Bill Maher, John Oliver, Lewis Black, Jim Jeffries, Redd Foxx, etc., etc., are/were not intelligent people?

Please retread my comment. The usual problem of communication is present. Btw I could also list a number of intelligent people who don't feel the need to use crudités in their language. @Condor5

Generally, I find overuse of them a sign of an unimaginative mind. However, there are times when they come in handy to emphasize a point.

Fuckin' swear words used to be "magic" "curse" words. Taboo religious shit IMHO.

I dislike the gratuitous use of swear words, but I enjoy their effective use in conversation. Especially their ability to add emphasis and disrupt passivity in conversation, Their selective use gives conversations an emotional range which would be difficult to achieve otherwise.

cava Level 7 Feb 26, 2018

Oh, for fuck's sake! There isn't anything wrong with swearing. They are just words.
I can think of plenty more, that aren't considered cuss-words, that are a helluva lot
more offensive.
Censorship sucks. No matter the reason given for it.

My personal philosophy is that I will tolerate general use swear words like:
damn, fuck, shit
unless you are saying them in an inappropriate setting for them like a school etc.

I will speak out against swear words that are generally attributed to a demographic:
Bitch, bastard, fagot etc.

Myah Level 6 Feb 26, 2018

Bring offended by curse words is a sign of low intelligence. 😀

JeffB Level 6 Feb 26, 2018

I am not offended but sometimes disappointed and certainly not impressed.

@JackPedigo it was just a joke. I think people need to be appropriate to the situation. But I grew up around working class southerns... If I'm relaxed around a person, I'll probably curse without thinking about it.

When I am not hanging around other veterans, I can be quite elegant in my speech, safe enough for any church or school.

Get me around my brother and sister vets ? Yeah, not so farging much LOL

Using foul language is an automatic ticket to Hell.

First class or coach?

@jeffy Next to the crying baby.

You can't ignore swear words like a grownup?

There fucking better not be or I'm getting kicked out!

JeffB Level 6 Feb 26, 2018

If that were to happen, I'm sure I'd be among the first to get the fucking boot.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29569
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.