Agnostic.com

3 2

Do you believe to get respect you have to earn respect?

You should not be telling people to get respect you have to earn respect if you are disrespecting someone. There so many to disrespect people without them being around. Before someone say to get respect you have to earn respect make sure you're not being disrespectful.

Peacefulperson 6 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's a sense in which all humans should expect some default amount of respect unless they've demonstrated that they're a self-absorbed douchebag. There's also a sense in which some forms of respect DO have to be earned.

For example let's say a postal worker delivers a package to my door. I think they deserve to be treated kindly and courteously by me, even though I don't know them at all. Just because they're human.

On the other hand, if the very same person were baby-sitting on the side, you can bet that I would want them to be bonded, show references, and otherwise pass a gauntlet of vetting procedures before I'd leave them alone with MY children.

Now let's take the postal worker, and imagine they're a JW or a Mormon making an unsolicited sales call. Now I have a REASON to disrespect them because they're behaving direspectably / direspectfully / impertinently.

So ... the postal worker just doing his job: default respect.

The door-to-door proselytizer: default disrespect, moderated by compassion.

The prospective baby-sitter: require respect to be earned.

No I don't, I expect mutual respect to all from all , (unless they seriously don't merit it ) I wouldnt even start with 'earning' respect whats that all about - I have a personal mantra which is" I have enough, 'I am enough' I do enough" - that is self respect - I don't respect anyone else more than I respect myself

Respect is conditional. While we may initially respect an office, position or rank, the office holder must earn our respect. This is very similar to the 5th Commandment, which directs that honor be bestowed upon one's mother and father. Much like an election result, an accident of biology (or hereditary claim) should in no way be the determinant of honor. Rather, honor (like respect) must be earned.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29570
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.