Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK The Machine Stops | The New Yorker

Oliver Sacks on smart phones and the future.

Tomfoolery33 9 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes technology is definitely a gifted curse for many reasons.
One in particular is that because of the advent of EMP weaponry once everyone born before the late 80’s dies society will be rendered mostly useles.

Well with the exception of the Amish for whom will either laugh or shame us as they go on business as usual. And even before that might happen we’re already developing a manner of tribal mentality but through cyberspace.

You can see it on here even the quickly identifying of factions and the ousting of those for whom are considered as outsiders.

Let’s say that 10 years from now If we were to be suddenly forced to deal with each other on a personal level in the actual real world I’m not sure just how people would even begin.

And what’s worse based on the trending behaviors what will actually matter the most to them?
Survival or whether or not you belong to a certain
race, political party, religion or social ideology.

Seriously I can see someone refusing possible life saving help from others because of a fucking hat, or their possible gender affiliation.

I’m just saying that technology has cursed because just as fast and as much helpful information it can provide us it also has the means to deliver ignorance and hate.

I don't know what EMP weaponry is.

@tnorman1236 Electronic magnetic pulse.
It would most likely be done by detonating a nuke somewhere near the atmosphere which will knock out everything Electronic and quite possibly satellites as well.

So basically it’s like being blasted back to at least the 50’s. Some people say that analog technology will work others say nothing will work.
I just hope that I’m not around to find out.

I share the feelings expressed.

I do, and I don't. Generally I see what he's talking about and agree, but my daughter, who is 22, spends a lot of time on her phone, but she's also very much in the real world, and involved in things in general. I hope she's not the only one who can find that balance.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:296002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.