Agnostic.com

15 4

I took a major step today.. I took all the religious crap off my shelves and wall. Most of it went in the closet and some went in the trash. I bet everyone in here would say all of it should have went in the trash.

freedom41 9 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I still have a lot of my books and music. I still like much of the music, and if it's not too pushy, the message can be inspirational. I have long studied the bible, so I keep all my reference books, and I have a picture of Jesus without a shirt, and those abs are just amazing.

I have my childhood precious moments bible from my grandparents on the bookshelf next to all my other fantasy novels including The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy and Harry Potter, right where it belongs 🙂

Good for you! That's the first step in to a bigger world. I have 4 versions of the bible, the kabbalah, the Koran (how ever they spell it on the cover, there are a few), the po pilvu, the poetic proes and eddas, books on Buddhism, shinto, the Maharaja, the book Egyptian of the dead translation, the satanic bible, and a few other odd collections of ancient religious texts. I also have various religious related tattoos and symbols around my house. I find religion interesting to study.

Everybody has to have an hobby. I collect stuff but not that stuff.

It depends. If you actually have good memories attached to some religious items, and rememberign makes you feel happy, then by all means, keep them.

I only kept my baptismal certificate, which I thought I might want to frame with my letter of excommunication. I probably shoudl actually use both to start the BBQ someday.

The Bible is some interesting literature. I have it on the same shelf as other books of mythology and folklore.

I still have my bible and Book of Mormon from my baptism. I will probably keep them until my grandparents die. I would give it to them but I think they would almost as sad to receive them as to potentially hear that I had thrown them out. So they stay on my bookshelf a while longer.

Myah Level 6 Feb 27, 2018

I will take them when I have company over. Not ready to take the other major step in life as an atheist.

Nope I still have 7 bibles

Congratulations. I’d say get rid of it all unless any of it has certain family sentimental meaning.

Go at your own pace. realize that getting rid of the symbols and books doesn't erase what's already in your brain.

Out of sight. Out of mind. IS A GOOD THING.

What will you put on the walls instead? Leaving a void can lead to being suckered by the next charlatan who comes your way.

It was only one thing. It's no big lose for decaration purposes.

@freedom41 I was speaking metaphorically.. Your brain has a void and will fill that void with or without your help.

My friend just sent me a Syd and Nancy prayer candle. Not sure if that counts as 'religious ' as neither of them had a prayer

I find that reading or observing any source of information as an advantage. Know thy enemy, that sort of thing. I also find that I have zero issues with any literature or other mediums. I have issues with the ZEALOTS that read and interpret these works as unerring rules and tenants to live by. Literature is BEAUTIFUL, Interpretation and dogma isnt.

I still own Bibles. These are handy reference books for debates with religious folks. By the way I would never go out of my way to engage in such a debate.

No. You do whatever you need to do, at your own pace.
Congratulations on taking another step toward sanity and reason.
Good on ya!

thank you. Taking up medatation might help as well

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29881
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.