Agnostic.com

5 2

LINK The 'Right to Repair' Movement Is Gaining Ground | Fortune

Being a "throw-away" society has come with great costs....from landfills to plastic islands in the oceans. It's time to go back to the basics and make appliances better and cheaper to repair.

SkotlandSkye 8 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Stopped buying all the plastic crap thats out there. Resale store kitchen table and chairs $40
Lots of free furniture from friends and friends of friends
Nothing matches but it all works,
Suits me perfectly

Love this Skye, as someone who grew up to reuse and repair everything, this is important to me. On saturday I have a new fridge being delivered, the first one I have ever owned.

It might make sense. First, it will require the redistribution of the technical intellectual potential in the US. Right now it is concentrated in R&D and in the manufacturing area. Appliances also should be designed for testability and repearibility. Now it is a quite neglected design consideration.

zesty Level 7 Feb 27, 2019

It seems to be cheaper to replace most electrical goods than to repair them. The labour costs are greater than the cost of most small appliances, such as kettles, toasters etc.

I can remember when cars were designed so that one could repair them, oneself.

Exactly. My 1979 Ford pickup was how I learned how to do all the maintenance and repairs myself. Contrast that with my current 2015 F-350 and I can't do anything but put air in the tires and replace the batteries.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299538
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.