Agnostic.com

8 1

When and how to talk about religion on a date?

When do you think the religion conversation should come up, and how?

GoodMan 7 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ask your date "Do you believe a talking snake tricked a rib-woman into eating a magic apple?"

BD66 Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

Haha! Hi BD66, and welcome to agnostic.com Would this be one of your early first date questions?...lol

I usually try to find that out before I ever set up a date. That is usually a dealbreaker for me. I know there are people who are able to make it work but at my age I’m not willing to invest time into testing that theory.

Before I will even meet a man I must know. If he still as an adult believes in jesus and Noah's ark...he won't like me. It's the biggest turn of there is! I just can't.

I think if it's important enough in your life, you have to be up front from the beginning. Be proud of your beliefs and who you are.

I've been married for 38 years, my husband knew who I was on our first date.

If you don't have a chance to know them beforehand or know them well, I would say, let it come up naturally. If you are enjoying the other person's presence and company, why bring it up directly or intentionally as though it is a qualification for dating you? Guide a conversation there if you must from a related topic. Mention a current event involving religion - a recent example could be Joel Olsteen's blunder surrounding hurricane Harvey - and read their reactions, their words should give you a notion of where they stand. Then start digging deeper to reach their personal religious beliefs.

Thanks for providing the reasoning for your opinion. This always helps. My view agrees with yours and most of the others. Time is precious, but I don't want to be abrupt or off putting.

I'm pretty upfront about it. No matter how much I like a guy, I would go bonkers living with a believer.

I agree with gingervista, and I think this response comes from life experience. Why invest time money, emotions and effort in a relationship with anyone who is incompatible with who you are. That is not to say I won't date a theist, I married one so obviously, I will but I talked to her before our first date and I decided it would be worth the effort.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:300
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.